Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2015 05:00

Snapview option not appearing on VNX1 but appearing on VNX2 for Pool luns

Hi All,

I am seeing a weird behavior here and i'd like to get some clarification here. I have Snapview enabler installed on both VNX1 and VNX2.

If i am standing on VNX2 on a Storage Pool lun and i right click, i can see the snapview option which is expected. When i do the same on a VNX1 Pool lun, i am not able to see the snapview options, only appears on a RAID Group lun.

Correct me if i am wrong, what i know is that Snapview should work on a RAID Group/Pool level. So is there a bug or something with my VNX1, or is it not supported on VNX1 level?

The VNX1 code is 05.32.000.5.206.

Appreciate your answers.

Regards,

O.Hasebou

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 06:00

RLP has been configured on both ?

March 2nd, 2015 07:00

Hi Dynamox,

I am not sure to be honest. I will check tomorrow to confirm.

Does that usually disable the function somehow?

Best Regards,

O. Hasebou

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 11:00

something to check, i have SnapView enabler installed on my box as well (both VNX1 and VNX2) but RLP is not configured. When i right click on the LUN i don't see SnapView as an option at all but i don't have RLP configured either. Worth a shot.

March 2nd, 2015 21:00

Hi Dynamox,

So i got to check the settings, funny thing is that on my VNX2, i don't have RLP configured and yet i can see the Snapview option when i right click a Pool lun on unisphere.

On the other hand, the RLP is configured on the VNX1 and yet i can't see a Snapview option when i right click  a pool lun.

Ideas?

Regards,

O.Hasebou

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 06:00

Do you have VNXSnapshots enabler installed on one but not the other ? I have it installed on both arrays, so i have a feeling that VNXSnapshots is listed as the "preffered" method for snapshots..so you don't see SnapView unless you don't have VNXSnapshots enabler on that array. Can you validate that ?

March 3rd, 2015 08:00

Hi Dynamox,

I tried today to install VNX snapshot enabler on a vnx gen2 that had snapview installed already and the option showing when right clicking the lun , and once snapshot enabler got installed, the snapview option disappeared!

I can see that I can create a snapview session but only from the toolbar on the right side and not by right clicking lun anymore.

Now my concern is,how will I create the snapshot of snapview first before creating snapview session like the normal process.

Also I don't think that I need to choose between them since sometimes we need replication manager and sometimes appsync. The replication manager uses snapview while appsync uses snapshots. Otherwise that would causes us limitation.

Best Regards,

O. Hasebou

Sent from my Samsung device

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 09:00

using Unisphere that might be your only option (using toolbar), there is always the naviseccli.

Replciation Manager and AppSync are intelligent enough to pick the right technology, what is your concern there ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 10:00

i prefer to use VNX snapshots, simpler, better performance (no copy on first write penalty).

Look in pool properties, Advanced tab. You can control how much space can be consumed by VNX snapshots.

March 3rd, 2015 10:00

Well i was concerned if i need to use one of them only. In your case as you have both, do you only prefer to use snapshots?

And by the way, any idea how to make the snapshots stop if they'll take over my pool's capacity?

The option in the GUI doesn't look so clear and can i get an alert if a certain capacity of pool has been used by snapshots to make sure my pool doesnt get filled up.

Thanks!

4.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 14:00

When you have both SnapView Snapshots and VNX Snapshots, when you right click on a LUN you will see either "SnapView" or "Snapshot". SnapView are the old snaps (the ones that use the Reserve LUNs) and Snapshots are the new VNX Snapshots. It will depend on the type of LUN that you click on. Raid Group LUNs will show the SnapView and Pool LUNs will show the Snapshots.

glen

No Events found!