Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2015 08:00

Test CIFS/Pool load capability

Hello,

We have a CIFS share on RAID 6 (6 + 2) NL-SAS disks.

I have theoretical calculations this pool is capable of to handle below;

1) IOP per disk * total disks = 80 * 8 = 640 IOPS

2) MB/s per disk * total disks = 80 * 16 = 128 MB/s

But I want to know how can I generate TEST load on this CIFS share on this pool, to calculate real time statistics this pool is capable of to handle.

Thanks.

119 Posts

June 25th, 2015 06:00

No one can answer my query?

Please help.

Thanks.

4.5K Posts

June 30th, 2015 09:00

Sorry - been tied up.

The results are a from a benchmark that does not really represent real world performance as it's not likely that your applications will be a consistent stream of data all the same IO size and type (read/write). What a benchmark provides is at best an idea of what the array is capable of - sort of like what's the fastest performance that the array can provide. From this benchmark you could say that under these specific conditions, the performance of the array will be this. It's a starting point from where you would know that this is the best that can be achieved under these test conditions.

Your applications would not behave in the same manner, so when you start using the array for real applications the level of performance would be less than what you can get on a benchmark. What you do know from this benchmark is that the level of performance is X.

Once you start to use the array with real applications then you will need to understand how to configure the array and the File side for beset performance. There are a number of White Papers (I've attached the ones for the Block side) for File performance that you'll need to review in order to get the best performance from the File configuration. I'm not a File expert so I'm not able to provide advice on how to setup the File side for best performance.

I'd suggest that you look on the support.emc.com site for White Papers for configuring the File for best performance. How you setup the array will determine the level of performance that you can achieve.

glen

No Events found!