Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2016 05:00

Use same SHARE with different Filesystems

Hello Everyone.

We did the deployment of an VNX 5600 Unified. One of the tasks done was the creation of  a Filesytem initially of 5 TB and a CIFS server and Share were created in a VDM. The Share points to FS/directory1. This activity was done 1 year ago. The data in the FS was growing and today the FS is close to 16 TB. So, we recomended not put more data there, créate a new FS and put new data there. Here come the problem.

By the application accesing the Share, they require keep the same Share in order to Access the current FS and the new FS.

Can be this possible ? ... .Use the same Share to Access the old FS data and the new FS data ? ... as far i know, i think it's not posible, but, if someone has some similar experience, can say me how we can do this.  Thank you.

8.6K Posts

You could,

replace the share with a DFS root that then points to multiple fs – of course the file systems will then look like subdirectories of the share

create a symbolic link (looks like subdirectory) that points to another fs

use CTA to archive (HSM) to another file system

enable file deduplication – maybe the compression and single instancing frees up enough space

40 Posts

Thanks a lot Rainer

Someone already talks to me about DFS root. I'm trying understand the use of DFS. Do you know any document about to use DFS with VNX ? ..

Thank you.

8.6K Posts

June 1st, 2016 06:00

Sure – its documented in the “Managing a Multiprotocol Environment on VNX” manual – available from support.emc.com

Also see the comments about symbolic links in the CIFS manual

To better understand it would suggest to just create one for test on an extra fs/vdm

I forgot – other options would be to use a nested mount file system

No Events found!