Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2017 06:00

VNX 5200 Control station no longer boots

Hello,

After multiple power outages ( environment is not on UPS, yes , I know, bad practice , let's ignore that  for now )  , CS0 of a EMC VNX 5200 no longer boots , it hangs ( please see attached printscreen ) . We opened a case to EMC, and received a new CS that we should have used to replace the faulty CS . Unfortunately , due to some contract issues, we are unable to use the new CS for now.

Was wondering if there is a way to boot from a rescue CD and see if we are able to fix the filesystem , or any ideas would help . The other Control station is online , but I'm unable to make it the primary one .

VNX.jpg

Please note that I'm a VMware admin , not a Storage admin , therefore please excuse if some things seem easy or if I do silly mistakes .

Thank you.

EMC VNX Control Station Linux release 3.0 (NAS 8.1.9)

[root@abc grub]# uname -a

Linux abc 2.6.18-406.8000.EMC #1 Wed Sep 23 03:54:29 EDT 2015 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@abc grub]# su nasadmin

[nasadmin@abc grub]$ /nasmcd/getreason

0 - slot_0 reset

6 - slot_1 control station ready

[nasadmin@abc grub]$ exit

exit

[root@abc grub]#  /nasmcd/sbin/cs_standby -takeover

NAS Services not running on slot 0

[root@abc grub]#  /nasmcd/sbin/cs_standby -failover

NAS Services not running on slot 0

[root@abc grub]#

169 Posts

August 14th, 2017 16:00

Are you a partner?. Usually CE or Partner CE does the CS Replacement.

The screen you see is normal. The output will be redirected to Serial Console (you can see it says ttyS1) and by connecting a null modem cable, you can see the status.

August 16th, 2017 02:00

Hi,

Yes you are right regarding the output . I've removed the console=.... so I can see on the screen the boot process, and this is the result :

BOOT.jpg

169 Posts

August 16th, 2017 04:00

It looks like many partitions are missing but /dev/root is not we usually use for root so may be it is booting from usb or cd ?.

If you add "single" at the end of boot (grub) menu, you can get in to root shell. May be you can try to fsck the partitions if they exist. If not, You may have to get some CE onsite for CS Recovery procedure using CD/DVD (or replace the CS if hdd is faulted).

1 Message

January 30th, 2020 22:00

hi ,

same issue i am facing in the VNX 5300 kindly give some solutions to fix it immediately

2 Posts

February 1st, 2021 13:00

I have same issue after multiple power outages, did you find any solution ?

2 Posts

February 1st, 2021 13:00

And we are no longer supported by dell 

No Events found!