Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 1st, 2012 06:00

VNX Host ID and Replication Question

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of questions, here are the scenario.

I have 2 ESX servers trying to boot from SAN. so i created 2 Storage Group SG_ESXA and SG__ESXB. I created 1 boot lun for each server and 1 VMFS LUN. The VMFS LUN is the same lun presented to the host and added to both SG

Here's the layout :

SG_ESXA  > ESXA > 1 Boot LUN and 1 VMFS LUN (this is the same VMFS LUN with below)

SG_ESXB  > ESXB > 1 Boot LUN and 1 VMFS LUN (this is the same VMFS LUN with above)

My question is,  can the VMFS LUN has different Host ID or must it be the same on each SG? Because right now the VMFS LUN config is :

SG_ESXA: LUN ID 1: Host ID 0 :

SG_ESXB: LUN ID 1: Host ID 2 :

is this possible?will it cause issue?must it be the same?

==============================================================================================

Moving on to replication.

I have two VNX at the same data centre and replicating thru FC.

DC1 SAN Switch

VSAN 100

VSAN 200

DC2 SAN Switch

VSAN 300

VSAN 400

so when i want to zone Mirrorview port on one VNX to another VNX, do i need to create another VSAN? or i just utilize the existing VSAN?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 1st, 2012 15:00

what version of ESX ?

for replication, do you have Cisco Enterprise license ?

December 2nd, 2012 06:00

ESXi version 5 and no i dont have cisco enterprise license, do i need enterprise license?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 06:00

if you have enterprise license you can use IVR but if you create dedicated VSAN for replication only and only use it for replication ports, if you start having issues with your link, fabric merge will not impact anything else. Take a look here, similar discussion

https://community.emc.com/thread/165821?start=0&tstart=0

As far as ESX and host id, i understand that it's no longer a requirement to have identical host id because ESX uses NAA number to track LUNs, not LUN id. I can't remember if you still have to use identical host id for LUNs that will be used as RDMs. Let me see if i can find that discussion. Personally i continue to use the same LUN id just for the sake of consistency and hair pulling in the middle of the night while troubleshoothing something

No Events found!