Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2017 17:00

VNX - How to force disk pool online, or force removal of offline pool.

Im trying to repurpose the old VNX 5300 for a client.   All data has been moved to a new EMC unity.

however... I have removed all the old luns, but the disk pool 0 shows as offline.

I cant remove the disk pool.

Pool 0 - Unable to destroy the Storage pool.  remove any LUNs in the pool and verify the pool is accessible then retry the operation.

(0x712d850f)

All the disks for the pool seem to show fine.. under the pool properties -> disk tab.

I cant get the disk pool to come online.

Even if do get it online.. it will only be to delete it.

No EMC support on this unit any longer..  So doubt i can log a support job..

its only to hold replicas of the production servers for backup purposes.. nothing critical.

Can anyone point in in a direction of how to force the disk pool online or force removal of it?

1 Message

March 22nd, 2017 13:00

I have the same issue. did you get anywhere with it?

Thanks

4.5K Posts

March 29th, 2017 14:00

This is normally a EMC support process that requires the help from an engineering team. Not sure this can be done in the Forum.

glen

3 Posts

April 6th, 2017 03:00

The problem is theres no support on this san (it currently doesnt have any data on it) customer wants to use it to house replicas.. (against our advice)

emc support wanted about $3500 to take a look at it as a incident charge.

Im going to see if i can factory reset it when i get a chance... even bringing it up and seeing if i can add disk by disk wiping as i go.

Im amazed at how little information is out there for the emc units.. the hp sans have cli documentation published happily.

3 Posts

April 6th, 2017 03:00

Not yet.. I havent had a chance to devote time to it.  Its one of those things that I cant simply play with as its in a server room in a basement with limited connectivity from my offices currently.

8.6K Posts

April 10th, 2017 09:00

VonFluffy wrote:

Im going to see if i can factory reset it when i get a chance... even bringing it up and seeing if i can add disk by disk wiping as i go.

Im amazed at how little information is out there for the emc units.. the hp sans have cli documentation published happily.

factory reset should work.

All of the customer commands and the service commands applicable to customers are fully documented on support.emc.com

See the VNX CLI command reference guides

In addition to that there are knowledgebase articles for trained partners plus Solve Desktop for activities that arent customer facing.

Beyond that there are a few actions that need to be done by support -

October 4th, 2020 07:00

dear friend

im have same problem, but im have important data inside pool and luns

im have vnx-5300

you can help me ?

• 

6.9K Posts

October 5th, 2020 10:00

Hello Almir,

You are going to need to open a support case.  You have data that you are stating is at risk, and if you don’t get tech support engaged so that there is no harm to your data, and we can recover it properly.  This is not something that you can recover on your own without supports assistance.

1 Message

August 17th, 2021 20:00

There should be a document provided on how to try to fix this storage pool offline issue. I replaced all my VNX's with Unity's and those are under contract. Even though I replaced them I still kept one VNX5400 as they are still good for labs and backups and I don't what to throw away 53 good TB's and just because I don't want to pay an arm an a leg for support that does not mean I should not be able to fix it without support. It is utter non sense that end users are treated like children in reg

2 Posts

June 26th, 2022 08:00

I have same issue. 

When you guys reset. Do you mean Reset SAN ?

Can you point to full install docs.

Can you point to docs to bring VNX online status.

Thanks

• 

8.5K Posts

June 27th, 2022 09:00

Hi,

Yes, reset to factory defaults. There unfortunately is not a public guide on how to do this and it requires phone support.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

No Events found!