Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 15th, 2013 11:00

VNX, MDS, Cisco UCS, VMware -- and problems!

Anyone running a similar configuration?

ARRAY:  VNX7500
SWITCH:  Cisco MDS 9513
Cisco UCS

VMware 5.1

VMs are built and configured.  All "boot from SAN".  This is the odd thing that happens:

If we try to installed PowerPath 5.7 on any of the Windows VMs they simply BSOD.  We can revert to previous known configuration but PP is still there. I can repair the PP installation which allows PP to load but it cannot see any of the attached VNX luns.  When I check the configuration and look in device manager, all of the "System Devices" listed under PowerPath (such as EMC Powerpath DSM for Clarrion) have yellow "WARNING" signs on them which means, of course, they aren't working.  EMC PowerPath Data Migration Manager, EMC PowerPath Generic Purpose Extension and EMC PowerPath Multipath Extension are all green and working.  You just cannot see any paths.

The major issue, of course, is installing PowerPath which causes the Windows VM to BSOD.  We have to figure out how we can install PowerPath without causing a BSOD. We have to use PowerPath because, even with the correct multipath configuration between the Windows VM and the VNX, we have a lot of Path Thrashing and the VMs drop luns.  We know PowerPath should fix this problem but we can't even get PowerPath to install and work without causing a BSOD.

Any idea? I've opened up an EMC support ticket and I know we're not the first people in IT to trying to install PowerPath with our configuration.  It's not like Cisco UCS isn't used anywhere else.

106 Posts

Belay that, Dynamox.  The problem they say is basically:

UCS Blades
Cisco MDS

VNX7500

Windows Servers on UCS blades BSOD when trying to install PowerPath 5.7

VMs in a similar situation with VMware path thrash using Windows MPIO which is why we think they need PowerPath installed on the VMware infrastructure not the Windows VMs.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that earlier.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

do windows servers (physical) boot from SAN ? I assume you are installing with only one path working and then once OS is installed you install PowerPath 5.7 and only then present the additional paths.  Is that your work-flow ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you say these are windows VM, why do you need PowerPath if multi-pathing is handled by ESX server ?

106 Posts

Also want to add, they (the customer) can't even get windows installed with powerpath on the Cisco UCS blade servers.  So there's two problems we're trying to fix.

106 Posts

April 15th, 2013 12:00

Thanks all, will do.

Dynamox, I am going to remove PP (I got it to work only when I repaired the installation but STILL could not see any paths), pull 3 of the paths away, reboot, reinstall PP (and see if it BSODs) and if not, add the 3 other paths and see if it works.

Agree about the firmware/software/bios revisions but it appears everything in E-Lab Navigator matches up.

106 Posts

Yes, they are boot from SAN.  Are you saying knock it down to one port when attaching the boot from SAN lun, install the Windows OS, install PP then reboot?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

you should not be running any multipathing on your virtual machines, there are only a few corner cases when you need to do that (presenting iSCSI storage directly to VMs through multiple paths using software initiator).

106 Posts

>> Not sure what you mean by VMWare hosts using MPIO as they should be using native multipathing or Powerpath

>>Once again host connectivity guides is good

Windows native MPIO. Are you saying shut off Windows native MPIO on Windows 2008 VMs and let ESXi with PowerPath handle it?  I'm a little confused on what exactly you're saying.

>>Also I have come across issues when working with cases that the correct fnic/enic driver was not installed for the UCS >>and all sorts of crazy things used happen. Not saying thats the case here - just not enough information

Hmmm if I can get the versions of the software involved here would that help? I am checkign the Host Connectivity guide as well.

THANKS!

106 Posts

>>you should not be running any multipathing on your virtual machines, there are only a few corner cases when you need >>to do that (presenting iSCSI storage directly to VMs through multiple paths using software initiator).

Not even PowerPath for ESX?

>>I could be wrong but I would have thought the failover would have been at the datastore/hba level (ie at the ESX level) >>rather than at the VM level (I am open to correction! - but have never seen native MPIO used on the guest OS to failover >>between guest VM's but there could be some fancy cluster setup that this may apply)

Agreed.

>>Hate to be passing the buck but Ill be honest, I would be asking Cisco

>>Even looking at VMware's own HCL it says go talk to Cisco for the correct versions (If I knew I would tell you) maybe >>there are others who can be more authoritative than me on the matter.

>>www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?>>deviceCategory=server&partner=146&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc

Not passing the buck at all, I think that's a good start though we're kind of getting the run around since there are three vendors involved:  EMC, Cisco and Microsoft so it's hard to get all three on the same page.

251 Posts

Just to reinforce what Dynamox is saying

See the EMC Windows connectivity guide

https://support.emc.com/docu5134_Host-Connectivity-Guide-for-Windows.pdf

Around P29, 30 etc

Gearoid

251 Posts

I could be wrong but I would have thought the failover would have been at the datastore/hba level (ie at the ESX level) rather than at the VM level (I am open to correction! - but have never seen native MPIO used on the guest OS to failover between guest VM's but there could be some fancy cluster setup that this may apply)

>>Hmmm if I can get the versions of the software involved here would that help? I am checkign the Host Connectivity guide as well.

Hate to be passing the buck but Ill be honest, I would be asking Cisco

Even looking at VMware's own HCL it says go talk to Cisco for the correct versions (If I knew I would tell you) maybe there are others who can be more authoritative than me on the matter.

www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=server&partner=146&page=1&display_interval=10&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc

Gearoid

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

yep, after PP installation and reboot ..present the remaining paths.

106 Posts

Alright well I am in a pickle.

What if they already installed Windows with all four VNX paths connected, THEN tried to install PP?  Why would that cause a BSOD?

251 Posts

Regarding the VMWare hosts

>>VMs in a similar situation with VMware path thrash using Windows MPIO which is why we think they need PowerPath installed on the VMware infrastructure not the Windows VMs.

Not sure what you mean by VMWare hosts using MPIO as they should be using native multipathing or Powerpath

Once again host connectivity guides is good

Also I have come across issues when working with cases that the correct fnic/enic driver was not installed for the UCS and all sorts of crazy things used happen. Not saying thats the case here - just not enough information

Regards

Gearoid

8.6K Posts

Some hints:

Check E-Lab Navigator for supported firmware and required Microsoft hotfixes

PowerPath Configuration Checker (PPCC) can help you there

The host connectivity guides – also available from the eLab site – give you more info and installation procedures

There is also a discussion area for PowerPath in the Host Systems Support Forum

https://community.emc.com/community/support/host_systems

No Events found!