Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 20th, 2014 09:00

VNX NAS zoning..?

Hi Experts,

I have one more doubt, & looking for answer if you don't mind. How do we create zoning at NAS end. Let's say that we have brocade switches, & vnx 5700 unified system & have to share an export or share to a server....what will be the steps......?

should i zone it through SP ports or should i zone it through data mover or control station.....please answer.....??

Thanks to all your help.

Ritu

1.5K Posts

September 20th, 2014 10:00

Hi Ritu,

The SP ports are for BLOCK access and will be connected to the Brocade switches. You will configure LUNs for SAN host access.However, for FILE access, you will us the data mover ports where Export or Share will be created on file systems.

I will suggest to go through the VNX documentation on https://mydocuments.emc.com/

Also, is this VNX being installed and configured by EMC professionals? You may take help from your local EMC Technical experts.

Thanks,
Sandip

11 Posts

September 20th, 2014 23:00

Thanks a lot Sandip. What I want to know is how do we make zoning at NAS end. We don't create zones while sharing exports to servers ? If we create zones, how does that zoned ?

Regards

Ritu

1.5K Posts

September 21st, 2014 00:00

Ritu - you will not create zoning for the NAS head. Zoning will be required for SAN Fabric connectivity only. For NAS share/export access you will use the Network connectivity through the devices & interfaces you have configured on the Data movers. You may consider this as two different streams -

1) NAS access to the data movers on their Network ports

2) SAN access to the Storage Processors through the WWN devices

11 Posts

September 21st, 2014 08:00

Thanks Sandip, what I want to know is that if I have 10-20 servers and want to share exports/shares with them...how do i get them connected to VNX, don't I have to zone them.....or do I have to directly plug the cables from server to storage.....& what if server is at a far distance & storage is away from them....? How the data will be routed.....?

Regards

Ritu

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 21st, 2014 10:00

google CIFS and NFS protocols

No Events found!