Highlighted
2 Bronze

VNX - allocate hot spare to specific pool?

Jump to solution

I have a VNX that was originally populated with 10K drives only, with 2 10K hot spares configured.  Some additonal 15K drives were recently added.  The pools are not going to mix drive speeds, so all pools are either going to be all 10K drives or all 15K drives.  I would like to add a 15K hot spare but want only the 15K pools to use it, and likewise have the existing 10K pools only use the 10K spares.  Is there a way to configure this in Unisphere or will the VNX use any available hot spare when needed?  If that is the case is there any built in logic that prefers a spare matches speed if one were needed?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: VNX - allocate hot spare to specific pool?

Jump to solution

hot spares are global, they are not designated to specific pool. See attached doc, there is a section on hot spares.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

hot spares are global, they are not designated to specific pool. See attached doc, there is a section on hot spares.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the link.  The SAN will only use the hot spare as a temporary drive so once a replacement is instalelled the pool will rebuild on what should be a like replacement drive.  I have worked with SANs where the hot spare becomes permanent, and didn't want to get into a situation where my pool would be mixed between 10K and 15K.

Jump to solution

If the array in question is a VNX2 model, then the hot spare engaged will become permanent unless you manually initiate a copy back to an appropriate speed replacement drive...