Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2014 09:00

VNX-for-file for Dummies

Hi all and sorry for this really basic question. I'm new with VNX-for-file and I've inherited a not-live system from a collegue who left.

However it's already configured as follows:

- I have one virtual data mover

- the cifs server is joined to a windows domain

- I have a local mapping for the AD groups

- I can map a windows drive to a shared folder on the VNX

- I have READ-ONLY rights on this drive

My question is: how can I configure permissions between VNX-local-groups and shared directories?

I'm completely lost on this; any small hint is really appreciated.

Thanks.

Matteo

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

(I assume you are using Windows 7/XP workstation)

Right click on my computer > Manage, right click on "Computer Management (Local)" and select "Connect to another computer".  Select Another Computer and enter your CIFS server name. Once connected navigate to System Tools where you will Local Users and Group, Shared Folder ..etc, pretty much the same thing you would see on a traditional windows machine. Here you can manage local groups, share permissions etc.

Yes, it is.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

is the CIFS server joined to active directory ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 27th, 2014 09:00

yeah, by default "Domain Admins" group get added to the local Administrators group on the CIFS server. But if you change this parameter, any future CIFS servers will be joined to AD with your account added to the local group.

server_param server_2 -facility cifs -modify djAddAdminToLg -value 1

May 27th, 2014 09:00

Ahhh thanks, got it!

Now I have to ask my Windows team since my user doesn't have the correct permissions.

May 28th, 2014 09:00

If I want to add the UID for my user in AD into the local administrators group of the cifs server, how can I do? thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

i guess i am not sure what you are trying to do, why are you trying to add the UID and not just the AD account ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

steps that i outlined above

But which is the parameter to specify the UID itself?

May 29th, 2014 02:00

Maybe I'm a bit lost again. The cifs server was already created 6 months ago. Now, I don't have any user with admin rights on it since the one who had was deleted from AD as he left the company.

Now my question is: how can "promote" my AD user as administrator on the already existing cifs server on VNX without re-creating a new one?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 29th, 2014 03:00

ask your Domain Admins to connect to the CIFS server (steps i provided above) and add your account to the local admin group. If Domain Admins were removed from that group you are SOL, i don't know of of a command that would allow un-authorozied user to modify local admin group membership.

May 30th, 2014 05:00

My domain admins finally did so and I'm now able to list/browse all the shares, create and delete files, assign ad-hoc permissions to any sub-directory. Thanks for your help!

No Events found!