Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2014 08:00

VNX remote replication

Hello,

I am still beginner in a VNX storage configuration but still learning :).

We are going to start a project where we will need to replicate data for Disaster Recovery purposes between Site 1 and Site 2.

Site 1: VNX 5700 (no FCIP switches, just LAN/WAN switches)

Site 2: VNX 5700 (no FCIP switches, just LAN/WAN switches)

- Asymetric remote replication

- Distance between sites: 500 km

- Bandwidth between site1 and site 2: 1 Gbit

My questions are:

a) Is possible to set-up block-level remote replication between VNX 5700 in Site 1 and VNX in Site 2?

Is it necessary to buy some additional HW components to be able to set-up block-level remote replication between VNXs (Recoverpoint, FCIP switches/gateways)?

b) Is better to extend SAN across both sites (so to have 1 SAN accross site 1 and site 2) or it is better to have local SAN in site 1 and site 2 and ensure replication between these sites?

c) VNX is able to set-up for iSCSI replication. Is good to set-up iSCSI remote replication over routed MPLS? Are there some potential issues? Any experinces?

b) Does VNX support application consistent snapshots (for example with using EMC Replication Manager)? We don't want to use RecoverPoint with Replication Manager.

Thanks a lot for your comments and ideas.

Hejbi

1K Posts

July 7th, 2014 18:00

Your life will be a lot simpler with RecoverPoint. You can use AppSync with RecoverPoint to create application consistent PITs (Point In Time) in RP.

a) Yes. Using MirrorView

b) Depends on the latency. 2 SANs will most likely be your answer

c) To fully answer this question you would need to look at the latency between the sites and the amount of writes on the source. The answer is it depends again. Have I seen it before? Yes.

d) Local snaps? Yes. You can use RM or AppSync. AppSync is the better choice as long as the app is supported by AppSync

4K Posts

July 7th, 2014 18:00

You can try MirrorView: http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/white-papers/h2417-mirrorview-know-cx-series-flare-wp-ldv.pdf. The distance is 500km so maybe only MirrorView/A can work in your environment.

July 7th, 2014 23:00

Hi Hejbi,

You will have to look on multiple questions :

What is RPO and RTO ?

what is budgeting ?

Which Applications are running ?

How much data is critical ?

What about IOPS ?

What is ROI target ?

Which Switch and I/O modules (on storage) you will use ?

Will there be any ISL connections, if yes how many ?

What OS and RAID types ?

Both DCs will be Active/Passive or Active/Active ? etc.

Answers to your questions :

a) You can use MirrorView/A. It works with FC & iSCSI, no additional hardware is needed. But it site 2 will be standby you need to promote a MirrorView  and redirect users to it. The other option is vRPA (Virtual RecoverPoint Appliance), its s/w solution, needs standard ESX hardware.

b) It will depend on RPO and RTO. Both ways are okay, again you want it to work as Active/Standby or Active/Active.

c) Yes, it supports.

d) Yes, VNX supports consistent snapshot with Replication manager. You don't need other tool. RM itself contacts to Applications (like MS Exchange and SQL) before a snapshot for consistency.

Thnx

Rakesh

6 Posts

July 8th, 2014 02:00

Thanks guys for your replies. I really appreaciate your help and advices. I will look at the mentioned products in your answers and possible solutions for me.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 8th, 2014 04:00

b) if you are going to use array based replication technologies, do not extend fabrics between two location, especially at this great distance. Keep fabrics local to physical location and use technologies such as Cisco IVR/Transit VSAN to establish connectivity without merging two fabrics.

14 Posts

July 8th, 2014 06:00

All the answers here are on point. I wanted to ask if the arrays are going to be hosting virtual machines, and if so, will all the required "protected" systems be virtual (with VMware, assumedly)?

If so, would you be planning to use VMware SRM?

Best,

Steve

6 Posts

July 30th, 2014 02:00

Hello Ernes,

reg. your answer....."a) Yes. Using MirrorView", what transport protocol is used between sites?

Thanks,

Hejbi

July 30th, 2014 02:00

Ports should be FC & iSCSI. Along with them you can use DWDM and FCIP. So all 4 are supported, depending your environment and distance with need.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2014 04:00

Thank you all of guys, I created 3 potential scenarios, what do you think, which is the best one? (My answers to Rakesh - RPO, RTO from hours to weeks; Applications - all kinds of application (db servers, app servers, file servers,....); Some data is critical, some less critical; no ISL connection, only 1x director clusters in each DC; OS - Linux, Win, Unix; used VMware ESXi, x86 physical servers + AIX). I appreciate all comments. Thanks. HejbiTopology - option 1.jpgTopology - option 2.jpgTopology - option 3.jpg

July 30th, 2014 05:00

Looking at your first post, if I have to choose, I will go for 2nd option. It's more reliable and faster than the 3rd one and cost effective than the 1st one.

Thanx

Rakesh

No Events found!