Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2014 10:00

VNX stats - how do I get them?

Hello, I'm trying to get stats for our VNX5500. Things like total IOPS. Read and write percentages. Response time. Average and peek, etc.. I have prosphere 2.0.1.2.307. It has an intial performance tab/screen on all the storage units it knows about. But when I click the VNX entry the next screens are all LUN specific. Is there a report or some other software that shows me stats at the storage unit level instead of the LUN level? I need to do this for a VNX, a CX3, a CX4 and a DMX4. Thanks.

16 Posts

March 10th, 2014 11:00

So my VNX5500 does not have "VNX Monitoring and Reporting"? I'm using Unisphere 1.2.2.1.0036 to do VNX storage stuff. It has a Report tab and then a Report Wizard but nothing under there is what I'm looking for. And then for the DMX you are saying I need "Unisphere for VMAX with Performance"? Is this instead of or along with Prosphere? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 10th, 2014 11:00

for Clariion/VNX/VNX2 you can use "VNX Monitoring and Reporting".  It's included with a purchase of a VNX2 and can monitor up to 10 storage arrays.  For DMX/VMAX the best tool is "Unisphere for VMAX with Performance"

16 Posts

March 10th, 2014 12:00

Ok. Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 10th, 2014 12:00

unless you purchased it separately, it's not included with VNX 5100/5300/5500/5700. Another option to monitor performance is by using Unisphere Analyzer but just like with the other product it's a licensed feature for VNX arrays prior to VNX2.

I am not running Prosphere (still running EMC Control Center), so i am not sure about it's performance monitoring functionality. From what i heard "Unisphere for VMAX with Performance" has a lot more statistics than Prosphere.

212 Posts

March 10th, 2014 23:00

On the VNX 5300 you can get everything that VNX monitoring and Reporting can do by using CLI. But then you will have to tweak the output to fit your requirements, I do not have the greatest knowledge of the VMAX platform, but I'm quite certain that you can fo the same here...it takes some work but it is possible.

16 Posts

March 11th, 2014 05:00

Ok. Thank you Jim.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 11th, 2014 06:00

you are very limited to what you can do from the cli on VMAX. There are many matrics available that you can gather using symstat but the good stuff like response times, read/write % , read/write miss response time is only available on either EMC Control Center (Performance Manager/WLA) or using Unisphere for VMAX with Performance.

March 11th, 2014 07:00

Looks like Dynamox has this one pretty well answered. Monitoring and Reporting can be purchased and provides some very good performance graphs for many different features on the VNX.

In addition, Unisphere has the ability to load nar files but does require a license. You will need to check and see if you have the Analyzer license. If you do, you can use the KB article below for loading those files into Unisphere to view the performance metrics you mentioned. It can show you details on the SPs, front-end ports, disks, RAID Groups/Pools, and LUNs. There are a lot of metrics available if you have the correct software/licenses.

https://support.emc.com/kb/15335

8.6K Posts

March 11th, 2014 13:00

FYI

VNX monitoring and reporting can be downloaded from support.emc.com and comes with a 90 day trial license.

Its very easy to setup on either a Windows or Linux system and the eval time gives you plenty of time to see if it fits your needs.

See https://support.emc.com/downloads/28885_VNX-Monitoring-&-Reporting

If you want VNX and VMAX then you can talk to your sales contact about upgrading to SRM Suite – that includes both.

Rainer

No Events found!