Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2016 20:00

VNX5400 change management IPs

Hello there.

I got VNX 5400 with flare 05.33.008.5.119. There are few hosts (ESXi) registered on this storage and these hosts are attached to few LUNs by FC.

Now I want to change SPA/SPB management IPs (new IPs would be at the same network as the old IPs). Is it possible to face some problems after this procedure?

195 Posts

April 7th, 2016 05:00

It is referring to the EMC management domain.  You will/may need to re-add the unit to that domain, through Unisphere for instance.

...and with due respect I don't believe that changing the IP causes a SP reboot...it has been a while, but I seem to recall just doing it through Unisphere and having no real difficulties.

195 Posts

April 6th, 2016 06:00

Changing the management IPs is non-disruptive to hosts.

While I suppose that 'nothing is impossible', I have done this several times without incident.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 6th, 2016 17:00

SPs will reboot but if everything is multi-pathed it should be non-eventful.

9 Posts

April 6th, 2016 20:00

Thanks for your answers.

I`ve faced strange warning during the attempt of changing management IP:

Безымянный.png

There is no configured directory services domain in "Manage LDAP Domain". I guess the thing is about EMC domain, well there is only one VNX in it:

1.png

So I shouldn`t get a problem, right?

p.s. and yea, there are multiple paths (4) from each host to each LUN in my case (2 paths per SP).

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 7th, 2016 20:00

doing it from Unisphere will require a reboot but using the CLI does not. Never attempted the CLI, good to know.  All my VNX are unified so i have to use proxy_arp script which does not give me a choice and requires SP reboot.

9 Posts

April 13th, 2016 20:00

Thanks for your replies guys.

Management IPs was changed without any impact and SP reboot was not required (well its definitely true for block only storage). The only thing is that management IP was not accessible for few seconds during the changing process (its ok I think). Also there was no need to readd storage to the EMC domain.

Im just curious what if I have 2 or more storages in EMC domain? Will this process be different?

195 Posts

April 14th, 2016 09:00

As a fuzzy combination of recollection and extrapolation:

First off:  No more disruptive to hosts/users than this was.

But things you may experience:

If you change the IPs on a member of the management domain you may have to delete the 'old' one as it would appear non-responsive, and re-add the 'new' one.

You should make sure that you know the local admin credentials before you start, as you may have only been using the global account from one array to manage all the domain members.

If you are using VNX monitoring and reporting you would likely need to re-register the array there as it 'knows' the old IPs and uses them to gather statistics.  I'm not sure if you would see any glitches in the stats going backwards; I would hope not, but M&R itself still has some oddities.

9 Posts

April 14th, 2016 20:00

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate you help.

No Events found!