Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2017 04:00

VNX5600, Zoning for SANCopy to Clariion CX4

Hi

I would appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem.

I am trying to setup a SANCopy connection between a Clariion CX4-480 (FLARE 04.29.000.5.014) and a VNX5600 block only (FLARE 05.33.009.5.155), for a data migration from the CX4 to the VNX.

Software

The VNX have SANCopy installed with Status Active. The SANCopy enabler is not installed on the CX4.

Physical connnections

The CX4 has 1 physical FC connection to 1 of the 2 fabric switches in each fabric, and are also connected to the old fabric and SAN we are migrating away from.

The VNX has 4 physical FC connections from each SP, 2 to Fabric A, and 2 to Fabric B.

Zoning

Zoning done as follows:

Zone 1 Fabric A CX4 Slot A3 P0, zoned to VNX Slot A0 P2 on VSAN 10

Zone 2 Fabric A CX4 Slot A3 P0, zoned to VNX Slot B0 P1 on VSAN 10.

Zone 1 Fabric B CX4 Slot B3 P0, zoned to VNX Slot B0 P2 on VSAN 20.

Zone 1 Fabric B CX4 Slot B3 P0, zoned to VNX Slot A0 P1 on VSAN 20.

If I look in Navisphere on the CX4, I have 4 connections under "SAN Copy Initiators", all registered and logged in, so all looks normal.

In VNX however, there are no new initiators. If I in Unisphere go to "Storage > Data Migration" and click on the "Update SAN Copy Connections", it updates the connections with Status of Success on both SP's, but it never picks up the new SAN Copy Initiators. It should be able to pick up the 2 new Initiators, 1 from SP A, and 1 from SP B.

Does anyone have a clue why the CX4 can see the 4 connections it's been zoned for, but the VNX side can't see the 2 Initiators from the CX4 side ?.

I appreciate any kind help on this issue

Regards

nbhpro

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 13th, 2017 12:00

so when you go to VNX > Initiators, you do not see CX4 ports being logged-in ?

4 Posts

July 14th, 2017 03:00

Hi Dynamox

Correct. If I look at the CX4 side in Navisphere under "Connectivity Status", it has the 4 initiators listed as "SAN Copy Initiators", exactly as they have been zoned for.

If I on the VNX look at Initiators, they are not listed. Even when I go into "Storage > Data Migration" and click on the "Update SAN Copy Connections" nothing happens. So for some odd reason I can only see them on the CX4 side.

On the VNX side SAN Copy is enabled with Status "Active", but on the CX4 side the SAN Copy enabler has not been install. Not sure if that is the problem. But as far as I have been able to find out, the SAN Copy enabler only needs to be enabled for a Push copy session, and we are probably going to do a Pull copy session.

Regards

nbhpro

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 21:00

since you are pulling, that's all you need.  VNX has access to CX LUNs now so you should be able to crease a pull session.

4 Posts

July 25th, 2017 06:00

Hi Dynamox

After reading your answer and look at some of the documentation, I think I know what it is. I ran the SAN Copy wizard on the VNX, and the error message suggests, either the zoning (which should be fine), or device is not in correct storage group. So if I add 2 or 4 of the VNX's zoned SAN Copy connections, to the Storage Group on the CX4 which holds the volume(s) I need to migrate. I should be able to run the wizard on the VNX, set up a session with the wizard, and be ready to start the migration.

One thing though, when I add the SAN Copy connections to the Storage Group on the CX4, I don't need to add anything to any Storage Groups on the side VNX, right ?. It just need to have the LUN it needs to migrate to, on the VNX side, correct ?.

Regards

nbhpro

4 Posts

July 25th, 2017 07:00

Hi Dynamox

Just added 2 SANCopy connections to the Storage Group, and setup a SAN Copy session with the Wizard, it all worked fine. So thank you very much for your kind help, very much appreciated.

When I'm starting the SAN Copy, what is the best way of making sure the IO's are stopped on the host that owns the LUN, since it's going to be a pull copy.

Regards

nbhpro

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 8th, 2017 13:00

for pull copy, host needs to be down during entire session.

No Events found!