Highlighted
neoseer
1 Copper

VNXe 3200 SP failover- Network Connectivity - CIFS/NFS

Jump to solution

Hello,

I read white papers and it is still not clear how the failover works. Any comments would be appreciated.

In below , if SPA fails over to SPB, we get  2 IP's (IP_A and IP_B) on Switch B LACP group 2 ? Am I correct?

Since VNXe 3200 there NO FSN. We do not have cross-stack LACP.

NAS Server A - IP_A

NAS Server B - IP_B

NAS Server A - VLANA - LACP Group 1 -> SPA port 2 -> switchA port 1

NAS Server A - VLANA - LACP Group 1 -> SPA port 3 -> switchA port 2

NAS Server B - VLANA - LACP Group 2 -> SPB port 2 -> switchB port 1

NAS Server B - VLANA - LACP Group 2 -> SPB port 3 -> switchB port 2

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
reedic
2 Bronze

Re: VNXe 3200 SP failover- Network Connectivity - CIFS/NFS

Jump to solution

You are correct. In your example, if SPA is unavailable (such as a reboot, or is placed into Service Mode, etc.) then NAS Server A will fail over to SPB, meaning IP_A will be serviced by SPB's LACP Group through switchB ports.

Also, the VNXe3200 does not have FSN. So if a network port on SPA were to lose connectivity, the LACP group would be able to continue servicing data on SPA without interruption. If your NAS Server only had a single SP Ethernet port associated with it and that Ethernet port lost network connectivity, there would not be a fail over of the NAS Server to the peer SP, meaning your clients would be unable to access their data while the network connectivity is down.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jithin_c_v
1 Copper

Jump to solution

There is a difference in the case of VNXe series storage boxes fail over.

As you are aware, in VNXe Block Protocol and File Protocol handling by DPE. There is no separate DM Enclosures.

If you are configuring iSCSI Server, you have to assign IPs to at least one port from each SP for high availability/multipathing.

If you are configuring CIFS/NFS server, the SP ports are acting as FSN Ports. Which means you have to assign IP to one of the port and when one of the storage processor is not available the IP will be available through it's partner port.

Thanks,

Jithin C V

Highlighted
neoseer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Jithin.So the connectivity I posted in forum, is it correct?  I read vnxe3200 does not have fsn.

if SPA fails over to SPB, we get  2 IP's (IP_A and IP_B) on Switch B LACP group 2 ? Am I correct?

Highlighted
reedic
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You are correct. In your example, if SPA is unavailable (such as a reboot, or is placed into Service Mode, etc.) then NAS Server A will fail over to SPB, meaning IP_A will be serviced by SPB's LACP Group through switchB ports.

Also, the VNXe3200 does not have FSN. So if a network port on SPA were to lose connectivity, the LACP group would be able to continue servicing data on SPA without interruption. If your NAS Server only had a single SP Ethernet port associated with it and that Ethernet port lost network connectivity, there would not be a fail over of the NAS Server to the peer SP, meaning your clients would be unable to access their data while the network connectivity is down.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
neoseer
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Charles.

Highlighted
Rainer_EMC
5 Osmium

Jump to solution

please keep in mind this is a community forum.