Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2015 14:00

VNXe CAVA Service, CLI and script to automate

Hi team,

We have installed some VNXe on small sites with only 1 antivirus server and Cava client for each site (small sites)

For some reasons (system maintenance, network), the antivirus server can be not available for many hours. In this case, the cava service - on the VNXe - is shutdown automatically to allow users to access to their files (without antivirus analyze) - any alert is sent. But, the CAVA service is not started when the antivirus server is available. Customer have to monitor directly the VNXe to know the status.

The first solution is to use an secondary antivirus server (best practices) -> Not possible. Small site (remember)

My question :

Is it possible to restart the CAVA service from the antivirus server (windows) with Unisphere CLI ?

Automatically ?

-> When the antivirus is rebooted (script)

and/or

-> Periodically -> Check the cava status on the VNXe -> If not enabled -> Start the service.

Thanks for your help.

Mat

1.2K Posts

March 26th, 2015 16:00

If you can configure SNMP traps to notify when the CAVA service stopped, you can issue a command to restart it.  Unisphere CLI provides this functionality:

uemcli -d 10.0.0.1 -u Local/joe -p MyPassword456! /net/nas/cava show

-- shows the state of the CAVA service on the VNXe

uemcli -d 10.0.0.1 -u Local/joe -p MyPassword456! net/nas/cava -enabled yes

-- starts the CAVA service on the VNXe

If SNMP isn't option, you'll need to find another way to receive the notifications and act accordingly.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

15 Posts

March 27th, 2015 01:00

Hello Karl,

Thank your for your answer and your help (I ) .

The principal issue is that the VNXe doesn't generate alert when the Cava Service is stopped.

> When the "Shutdown" CAVA parameter is set to "viruschecking", the CAVA service is stopped and any event is sent.

Users can access to files but the CAVA service is not restarted automatically (never if you don't check the status yourself).

> When the "Shutdown" CAVA parameter is set to "no",  a log event is sent to the VNXe Shared Folder Server. But I don't know if this parameter stop the file access to users (impact on the production).

Is it possible to do a script that check the Cava service status and start it of Cava Status is "no" ?

Mat

15 Posts

March 27th, 2015 03:00

Hello Brett@s,

Thanks for your answer. It is very helpfull. I will show that to my colleague to try to test it.

Mat

March 27th, 2015 03:00

If you can use powershell this should work;

$cavacheck = (uemcli -d 10.0.0.1 -u Local/joe -p MyPassword456! /net/nas/cava show)

if ($cavacheck -like "*Enabled = no*") {uemcli -d 10.0.0.1 -u Local/joe -p MyPassword456! /net/nas/cava -enabled yes}

Schedule to run via Windows Task Scheduler as often as required.

It's a bit crude and basic, and you could add more functionality like email report if it wasn't started or if there's an error.

This is checking for the "Enabled = no" line in the /net/nas/cava show output. You could also check for the "State" information if that's more relevant.

If you want more detail let me know and I'll make something nicer

No Events found!