Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2015 00:00

VNXe3150 - Free data protection space

Hi all,

I want to disable data protection on one of my LUNs to free space on the array. I've removed the protection Schedule, deleted the snapshots but I can't manage to free the protection size that is allocated to the LUN.

Is there a specific way to do it?

Kind regards,

Aya.

January 13th, 2015 02:00

Hi Ayashi,

For iSCSI storage, there is no way to reduce or shrink or disable protection space. Once protection space is configured, it cannot be reclaimed.

If you want to reclaim protection space, You need to:

- Take backup of the data of that iSCSI LUN

- Delete iSCSI LUN

- Re-create iSCSI LUN without protection option

- Restore the backup.

Regards,

Swapnil

January 13th, 2015 02:00

January 30th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

For CIFS, You can definitely turn off protection by disabling snapshot schedule and then deleting all snapshots. Then navigate to protection size and mark size as zero in text box and apply changes.

In case of iSCSI, even if you delete all snapshots, you cannot revert size back to zero.

Here is error you will get:

Protection size can only be increased. You will not be able to decrease the size of this protection storage later.

Regards,

Swapnil

5 Posts

January 30th, 2015 09:00

on the same note. I had data protection turned on for some LUNs. I have since deleted the schedule and turned off the data protection. Now since it's been a while, I don't remember what LUNs are still holding the data protection space and there are not snapshots. Is there a way to tell which LUN originally had data protection?

Thanks

No Events found!