Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2012 13:00

VSI Plugin Cannot Connect

I'm installed the VSI USM VMware plugin on two machines - one my vCenter server and the other my Win7 workstation. The vCenter install worked fine but after installing the plugin on my workstation  I get a "the underlying connection was closed: Could not establish a trus relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel" error and the USM plugin is disabled. I don't seen any Feature options in the EMC Feature Manager and I am just sort of stuck.

I'm using the VSI USM 5.3.0.153 and vSphere 5.1 in both environments.

Any ideas on what is going wrong here would be greatly appreciated.

-

Tim

October 27th, 2012 22:00

Please contact support and reference KB article:  emc307155.

32 Posts

February 1st, 2013 06:00

I am having this issue and for whatever reason can't access primus articl emc307155...it keeps failing on open.

Can anyone explain what needs to be done to correct the error "could not establish..."

8 Posts

February 1st, 2013 11:00

My problem appeared to be my not having a couple of prerequisites installed:

The most significant was the EMC Solutions Enabler which, if memory serves, was the one that could not be 64-bit on Windows 7. I am running 7.4.0 currently and pretty sure it had to be 32-bit.

I'm sure there is a doc or perhaps twenty on Powerlink that outline this process, all slightly differently. It seemed pretty opaque arrangement to me. Why an installer can't make sure these pieces are in place remains a mystery to me. I'm still not absolutely sure what exactly a Solutions Enabler even is but it certainly seemed I need it and badly.

I currently have a setup that allows me access to the Storage Viewer but I can't actually modify  any of the target LUNs on my array or allocate new ones. The USM plugin continues to throw the same exception about not being able to establish a trust relationship  for the SSL/TLS secure channel. Since this wasn't a big deal and we had no clear path to resolution, I've punted on this last bit but like the Storage Viewer quite a bit.

Hope this helps.

32 Posts

February 1st, 2013 11:00

Thanks, yeah not sure why the SSL/TLS issue keeps occurring. But, I need to figure that out...once I do I will pass it along.

Thanks,

Ken

Sent from my iPad

February 3rd, 2013 15:00

Kenneth,

Unfortunately the KB article is currently under review and hasn't yet been released to the public (curriously has been for several months now).  However, the SSL/TLS issue is a known issue and it has to do with a mismatch on how the application (USM plug-in in this case) calls the host (by name) which is different from the hostname in the SSL cert.  There are several options that are listed which have been known to resolve it. 

Please open up a ticket with support on behalf of your array (VSI plug-ins are 100% supported by EMC) and reference the following KB article:

emc307155: "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channe"

Apologies for the inconvenience; however, there is a review process before they are released to the public.

45 Posts

December 9th, 2013 07:00

Ok here is what is causing the problem and the resoultion. Microsoft released an RSA patch that requires 1024 bytes certificates. You can do one of two things.

1) Upgrade the certificate in Virtual Center to 1024 Bytes.

or

2) This will allow for weakened certificates so use with caution.

Edit the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\OID\EncodingType 0\CertDllCreateCertificateChainEngine\Config

And insert the following DWORDS

EnableWeakSignatureFlags: 2

minRSAPubKeyBitLength: 512

I have tested this on multiple machines and this work around does in fact work.

7 Posts

June 4th, 2014 04:00

I tried this registry hack but it didn't help me. Still when trying to enable Unified Storage Management I got this error.

Tried also to reboot and after that enable this but same problem continues.

Is the only alternative to upgrade the vCenter certificate to at least 1024 bits?

I've just installed emc-vsi-usm-5.6.2.8-vmware-vsphere-WINDOWS-x86 on vCenter server.

No Events found!