Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

October 19th, 2012 09:00

What is the best way to setup Home Directory feature for users with multiple usernames?

I've started using the HomeDirs/Cifs features of the VNX 5300 we have here, and things are going fine.  Some questions have come up however.  Most of the IT staff have 2 user accounts (a normal account and an administrative account).  Before the switch to HomeDirs we had 2 different home directory locations.  After the switch user's home directory paths are all \\serverX\HOME .

What I want to happen is for example, IT staff Bob has 2 accounts, "Bob" and "ITBob".  I want the virtual path of \\serverX\HOME to always map back to \\serverX\root\HomeDirs\Bob (the actual path).

Is there a way to do this, possibly with an entry in the HomeDir database of the Clerra management tool?  Right now I have just 1 entry, all going to one spot.  I tried adding another entry with "ITBob" as the user and it pointing directly to user "Bob" 's homedir location, but that didnt work.

Any ideas?

I could fall back to sharing out directories manually and then assigning that share directly to the AD user accounts (basically the old way), but that kinda defeats whole point of HomeDirs. 

7 Posts

October 19th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for your reply.  Your assumption is correct except that I am doing AutoCreate and using Reg.Ex.  I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.  I can try this again, and try editing the database file directly as you suggested to see if it helps. 

Wouldn't the system attempt to look for /root/HomeDirs/Bob/ITBob when ITBob logs in with \\serverX\HOME as the home directory?

The other thing is security, but it looks like users can make security changes to their home drives directly, so they can add in the other user.  I thought of this after, and maybe that was the problem all along.  Either way I'll let you know.

1.2K Posts

October 19th, 2012 10:00

Hi and welcome to the forums!  I'm assuming the configuration of your homedir entry in the Celerra Management GUI looks something like (assuming you're not using AutoCreate or Regular Expressions):

Domain (*) User (*) Path (\root\HomeDirs) AutoCreate (NO) Reg. Exp. (NO)

I find it easier to make changes to the homedir configuration by editing a copy of the database file and uploading (see the last section of Configuring and Managing CIFS on VNX for instructions),  so my directions are based on that.

A similar homedir file would look like

*:*:/root/HomeDirs

You might try and update the databse, with ITBob's entry like this:

*:*:/root/HomeDir

*:ITBob:/root/HomeDirs/Bob

Be sure to check for any spaces and proper capitalization - that could also be an issue.  Let us know if this helps!

7 Posts

October 19th, 2012 11:00

Ok, it turned out to be permissions as the problem.  So, in the example (in case anyone else comes across this) "Bob" can log in, right click his home drive, goto security and add "ITBob".  Then I can add the entry in the HomeDir database, and it maps correctly then. 

I did get a warning on breaking inherated security, though from what I can tell it only broke it for my user folder, which is fine.

1.2K Posts

October 19th, 2012 11:00

Gotcha.  That probably makes your homedir file look more like this:

*:*:/root/HomeDirs/:regex:create

So your entry for ITBob would look more like this:

Here's how the login process works - the NAS tries to match the fields of the homedir file, based on the login information provided (domain and username).  With the file above, if I logged in as "remote\karl", the NAS looks my domain (remote), then my usrename (karl), then it looks at the path provided (/root/Homedir/) for a directory that exactly matches my name (/root/HomeDirs/karl), because of the regular expression entry for the username (/) .  Without the regex entry, the NAS will look for an exact directory match for the user entry.

With this in mind, you could make directory entries for all of your IT staff, :

*:ITKarl:/root/HomeDirs/Karl

*:ITSally:/root/HomeDirs/Sally

No Events found!