Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2015 09:00

Window file server migration to vnxe

Dear All

Pls let me know the procedure to migrate the Window 2008 file server to  EMC VNXe3200.

Thanks

Manoj

138 Posts

March 9th, 2015 07:00

I assume you’re migrating servers within same Active Directory domain.

1. Create a NAS server with CIFS protocol on VNXe3200
  2. Join this server to same domain as your original file server. Create a File System with required size on this NAS server.
  3. Prepare another Windows system which can communicate to File Server and VNXe NAS server.
  4. Download the tool used for migration on to this Windows system. Any of these tools are recommended and they are free – EMCOPY, ROBOCOPY. Both are run from command line and have various switches for different functions. These tools allow you to migrate files with their ACLs and attributes/properties.
  5. Map network drives to original file share and VNXe’s share on Windows system. Then run the EMCOPY or ROBOCOPY command with appropriate switches.

6.      It is recommended to do migration during off business hours when no one is accessing file shares.

Note: Windows system is not mandatory. You can still run migration tools from your file server itself. Also, these migration tools DO NOT migrate share permissions.

11 Posts

March 9th, 2015 10:00

Thanks Dinesh..

Thanks much for your prompt support in this case.

1) I not able to understand that this will not copy and migrate the share permission. ? what is that means ?

If i am correct all the folder after copied to VNXe will retain the same ownership structure as previous.. only the main share folder will have some issue . which i need to make it as same as source.

Pls correct and guide in this case.

regards

Manoj

138 Posts

March 9th, 2015 13:00

I mean to say, after migration, all folders and files will have their permissions and properties similar to original. However, if you have any shares in the original file server, you will not see that share and its share permission.

To put it in other words,  information in General tab and security tab is copied (along with data of course), but nothing from 'Sharing' tab.

No Events found!