Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 19th, 2016 11:00

Working with failed drives

I'm trying to identify a process where we can initiate an overwrite of a drive that has been marked as bad and proactively spared.  I have a failed drive in a lab VNX that I tried on, but the system doesn't even identify the drive so it's not a good candidate for testing.  What I need to know is if I can run naviseccli -zerodisk on a drive that has been marked as bad, but is still physically functional.  We want to clear data from the disk before it is returned for warranty service.  Will this work, or once the drive is marked as bad/failed will we be able to access it at all from the system?

May 24th, 2016 12:00

Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

8.6K Posts

May 25th, 2016 07:00

Depends on how badly failed the drive is

May 25th, 2016 07:00

Absolutely - I have a disk in my 5300 in my lab that doesn't even show up.  Obviously that one's not going to work.  What if it just exceeds the sector reallocation threshold?  Technically the drive is still readable, but it's exceeded it's metrics and is proactively hot-spared.  Would a drive that's exceeded those thresholds but is otherwise functional still be accessible to run a zerodisk command, or will I be prevented from doing anything with the drive?

8.6K Posts

May 25th, 2016 09:00

Keep in mind that if you have special security regulations for content in unreadable or spare sectors than zerodisk isn’t going to be enough

For that there are special programs and services – or physical destruction

8.6K Posts

May 25th, 2016 09:00

I dont think we prevent it

No Events found!