Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AH

January 24th, 2014 08:00

does replacing SPS causes its SP to shutdown?

Hi,

Does replacing a SPS in a VNX system causes its SP to shutdown? and if no why isn't power supplied to it from that SPS is off while it's being replaced?

Thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 24th, 2014 10:00

is it getting power from the other SPS or is the power still flowing through the "SPS shell" even though its' no longer protected ?

812 Posts

I was discussing the situation while the SPS is being replaced.

812 Posts

If you have redundant SPS, you don't really have to worry. SP will remain running with the power supplied from the other SPS.

thanks Vipin for your reply,

how does power flow to the other SP and the SPS is directly connected to one SP?

does the two SPs are connected on the backend?

January 25th, 2014 09:00

another question that popped up into my mind

the power supply in a DPE powers up the whole DPE or only its SP?

this may clear the picture

does anyone has any document that explains VNX power architecture?

January 26th, 2014 01:00

thanks Roger for your reply

but i'm not asking about cabling, i'm asking about internal power structure.

please reread the post and any help will be appreciated.

4K Posts

Or you want this?

SPS.png

SPS2.png

4K Posts

The SP and the first DAE.

You can refer to the documents generated by VNX documents portal: https://mydocs.emc.com/VNX/requestMyDoc.jsp

Install VNX

Install your VNX platform. Prior to installation, read the document in the Before you begin section above.

vnx_sps.png

January 26th, 2014 02:00

yes this first picture, but with DPE-based VNX systems that has only 2 power supplies.

how is power is distributed from SPSs to PSs to SPs ?

4K Posts

January 26th, 2014 19:00

Usually the pictures like the first one are only for internal. I just have CLARiiON's in my hands, but it shouldn't be changed too much from a high level. 

January 26th, 2014 23:00

i think they are changed as DPE-based VNX system have only 2 power supplies

so what happens if one is down, does the other one power up the whole DPE or each power supply powers up its SP only?

that's where my question comes, does the power supply in a DPE supplies power to the whole DPE or to just its SP?

January 27th, 2014 00:00

I have one VNX5300 in our democenter. If I power-off one SPS both SPs remains online.

January 27th, 2014 07:00

so each power supply can power up both SPs. I hope we can find some documentation about this.

Thanks lblanc

251 Posts

January 27th, 2014 09:00

I have carried out this replacement many times in the lab, I actually got the documentation changed to reflect that its an online procedure as well. As previously outlined mydocs.emc.com is the official documentation for this procedure

Regards

Gearoid

January 27th, 2014 12:00

I wasn't asking about procedures, i wanted some document that explains internal power structure and how power flows into the VNX.

Thanks Gearoid for your confirmation.

No Events found!