Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 13th, 2012 22:00

emcopy.exe error 1722 unable to get the domain SID info from \\CIFS

I am in a domain group with Full Control permissions on the source. Running emcopy, I get this:

EMCOPY 04.10

Copyright (C) 1999-2010, All Rights Reserved,

by EMC Corporation, Hopkinton MA.

System information

==================

Client OS                   : Microsoft Windows Seven Enterprise Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Server SRC                  : sourceCIFS          4.0 LCSR BlueArc

Server DEST                 : destinationCIFS       5.0 EMC-SNAS:T7.0.13.1

TH000 : 01:18:18 : ERROR (1722) : Unable to get the domain SID info from \\sourceCIFS

TH000 : 01:18:18 : WARNING : Unable to initialize the Security Descriptor translator

Copy engine Statistics

======================

File(s) copied                            : 0

Directory(ies) created                    : 0

Amount of copied byte(s)                  : 0 Byte(s) (0 Byte(s))

Error 1722 is:

RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE

1722 (0x6BA)

The RPC server is unavailable.

robocopy seems to copy the folder fine:

im Using:

c:\windows\system32\robocopy.exe "source" "destination" /E /ZB /MT:128 /dcopy:T /COPY:DATSOU /V /R:1 /W:1 /LOG+:e:\nas\copy.log /TEE

I would prefer to use emcopy. any ideas what could be wrong?

Im copying on a 2008 server from a Bluarc NAS to a VNX5700

April 13th, 2012 23:00

Also, as a reminder, if you didn't already consider the following points:

4) If necessary (local groups), also run LGDUP first

It is available on PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Celerra Tools > Windows Migration Tools > LGDUP

5) User Account running EMCOPY

[...]

The user account must grant the Backup and Restores privileges. It must

be also a member of administrators or account operators on both the

source and the destination computers.

[...]

April 13th, 2012 23:00

A few observations.

1) You should always run with the latest version which is currently at v4.14 (you are running v4.10)

It is available on PowerLink via the following breadcrumb trail:

Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Celerra Tools > Windows Migration Tools > EMCOPY

2) VNX OE for File: 7.0.13.1 (latest is 7.0.51.3)

Not related to the specific issues you are encountering, but just an observation that this is almost a year old, and you should consider upgrading to the latest 7.0.51.3 (along with the VNX OE for Block 05.31.000.5.709 which complements this version for File).  Just a recommendation that now may be the time to do it before you start migrating/putting into production.

3) Consider enabling the following data mover parameters on the VNX

As documented in the following KB article:

emc46968: "EMCopy utility fails with error 'Security Descriptor Error: Unable to set SD' while migrating data from source to target server."

The following data mover parameters are typically set in consideration of migrations from third-party NAS or traditional Windows fileservers:

[...]

param cifs acl.mappingErrorAction=3

param cifs acl.retryAuthSid=600

param cifs acl.FailOnSDRestoreError=0

[...]

90 Posts

April 14th, 2012 06:00

@dynamox - Thanks for /fft - I totally missed that option, but will try it.

No luck after parameters set and DM's rebooted and emcopy 4.14 ..

E:\NAS>emcopy "\\sourceCIFS\home\Research" "\\destCIFS\c$\shared\Research" /sdd /secfix /a /o /i /s /th 256 /c /R:1 /W:0 /LOG+:E:\NAS\research_emcopy.log /f /de /TEE

EMCOPY 04.14

System information

==================

Client OS                   : Microsoft Windows Seven Enterprise Edition, 64-bit Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Server SRC                  : souceCIFS          4.0 LCSR BlueArc

Server DEST                 : destCIFS      5.0 EMC-SNAS:T7.0.13.1

TH000 : 09:25:56 : ERROR (1722) : Unable to get the domain SID info from \\sourceCIFS

TH000 : 09:25:56 : WARNING : Unable to get the local source server sid from \\sourceCIFS

TH000 : 09:25:56 : WARNING : Unable to initialize the Security Descriptor translator

Copy engine Statistics

======================

File(s) copied                            : 0

File(s) recovered                         : 0

Directory(ies) created                    : 0

Amount of copied byte(s)                  : 0 Byte(s) (0 Byte(s))

There was one bit of information these guys with the BlueArc told me - They said that they needed the Active Directory team to leave an older domain controller running because the Bluearc could not authenticate to 2008 domain controllers, something to do with Kerberos authentication. I wonder if I need to look at that since it's saying "Unable to get the local source server sid from \\sourceCIFS" and "Unable to get the domain SID info from \\sourceCIFS"

I don't feel like these are individual SIDs on folders, but rather the \\sourceCIFS server as a whole.

90 Posts

Thanks. So far I have the new emcopy 4.14, and have set the parameters and will reboot the datamovers and schedule an upgrade of the code.

4. I am not going to copy local groups

5. I know how to grant those priveleges on a Windows server. How can you do that on another Celerra or in this particular case, it's an old BlueArc NAS.

The robocopy isn't working all that great either - I just reran it on a directory and it's recopying files it says are "newer" but they havent been modified since 2009 and are no different than when I copied them a few hours ago. I seem to recall an issue where celerra carries out the time stamp to a fraction of a second which is different than windows or other NAS which causes robocopy to thing the file is different... ugh

on the plus side, robocopy did seem faster. I wasn't able to get much more than 115GB per hour with emcopy, but these last few robocopies were more like 400GB per hour

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

add /fft to robocopy, but the way robocopy on windows 2008 is just as fast as emcopy (it supports mult-threading)

April 14th, 2012 13:00

Good point in regards to your observations.  Your recent comments reminded me of the following update to EMCOPY that was introduced recently.  As listed in the release notes on Powerlink:

[...]

04.12B:

- Added detection of wrong source local SID. When asking for local SID some old system response

with the SID of the joined domain instead of its own local SID. This was the cause of some SID

translations mismatch.

- Added new option /localsidsource that forces emcopy to consider the given SID as

the source local SID.

[...]

I don't have any experience with this option, but looks promising and maybe someone else can comment.  As a reminder, we fully support EMCOPY (and the other suite of migration utilities).  If you haven't already by now, considering opening up an SR with EMC support on behalf of your VNX.

90 Posts

April 14th, 2012 22:00

The /localsidsource switch did help get emcopy to run, but I couldnt find a way to get the sid of the BlueArc Cifs server. So I thought let me try any sid... I used the sid of the 2008 server I am using for the copy.

It copied... I just tested it on a 20gb small folder. I still get a lot of these (hundreds):

TH001 : 23:55:13 : ERROR (1722) : Lookup account sid from \\SOURCECIFS failed

No failed copies. When I ran it a second time - I took out /secfix, but left /sdd and it ran fine, no errors and nothing to copy (it's already copied)

I tried running it without /secfix and without /localsidsource and it won't run same original error.

So I don't know.. the permissions look good on the copies - we only care about the domain permissions.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

April 14th, 2012 22:00

do you care about permissions, I ‘ve done some migrations in the past where customers intentionally did not want to copy permissions from source. They setup “correct” permissions on target and let me robocopy just the data, which would inherit permissions from the target once it got placed there.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

July 14th, 2014 13:00

you want to tell emcopy to omit permissions ? Look at emcopy /? for all available options

115 Posts

July 14th, 2014 13:00

Hi Dynamox,

Do you know if there is a way to do the same exact thing using EMCopy?

I have the folder structure all created with correct permissions but with EMCopy I cannot seem to find a way for permissions to be inherited from destination.

Thanks

No Events found!