Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 22nd, 2013 11:00

iSCSI Migration

We have an Exchange 2007 server (Windows 2003 x64 SP2) which is attached to an Dell EquaLogic array via iSCSI. I have to migrate the
server from the Dell iSCSI array to an EMC VNX iSCSI array. Any idea how I can migrate this host? Open Migrator doesn’t support Microsoft iSCSI initiators so that is out of the question.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

LeeGoodwin wrote:

Robo copy should work but won't if DAS to iSCSI

what do you mean ?

19 Posts

Hi What i mean is if you have a direct attached SCSI, SATA or IDE drive you cannot copy to iSCSI, or last time i tried it would not work

Seems FC to FC ok

iSCSI  to iSCSI ok

19 Posts

i would say the easiest method is to create all the new volume on the new VNX add the new VNX to the server and copy at a Server level all the data over. When complete disconnect the old unit and reboot the server and that should be it. Robo copy should work but won't if DAS to iSCSI

Time wise is as fast as the bus

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

as long as there is a drive letter or UNC path ..robocopy does not care.

15 Posts

August 22nd, 2013 12:00

Thanks Guys. Is there any other solution other than Robocopy? Also let me know if there are any EMC based tools that I can utilize?

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2013 12:00

present new storage from VNX, create new database in Exchange and move mailboxes.

4.5K Posts

September 20th, 2013 14:00

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

105 Posts

December 18th, 2013 20:00

FYI for all, we migrated about 40-50 LUNs from Equallogic to VNX using Open Migrator & iSCSI.  Had zero issues.  Many of the servers were 1.5TB.  Migrated serveral MSCS servers and that went great as well.

The interface could use some tweaking and my fingers were about to fall off from all the clicking but it worked great.

Ben

8.6K Posts

December 19th, 2013 01:00

Thanks for the feedback

Always good to hear from actual customer experience

May 6th, 2015 14:00

Hello Ben,

If possible please share the migration plan.

105 Posts

May 8th, 2015 06:00

We split the iSCS nics so Nic #2 was on the EQL network and Nic #1 was on EMC iSCSI VLAN #1.  When the OM migration was done we took NIC #2 and moved it to EMC iSCSI VLAN #2.

Ben

1 Message

May 27th, 2015 15:00

Hi Ben,

Can you explain what you mean by "split the iscsi nics" ?  Does this mean you removed one of the nics from your mpio config?  If so how was that accomplished?  I'm in the process of migrating a microsoft envrionment to a new storage array which requires taking one of the dual-nics away from the existing configuration and using it for connecting to the new array.  It's unclear to me how to perform this task however.

Thanks for you help.

105 Posts

June 1st, 2015 06:00

First try it in a test lab or build a VM that is using s/w initiator.  Yes, take one of the nics and put it on the new vlan, re-ip, etc. then connect to the target on the EMC SAN.  Since the nic will be on the new network you can connect the iSCSI target to the new SAN and you will still have access to the old san via the original nic.

Ben

No Events found!