rbhat23
1 Nickel

iSCSI Migration

We have an Exchange 2007 server (Windows 2003 x64 SP2) which is attached to an Dell EquaLogic array via iSCSI. I have to migrate the
server from the Dell iSCSI array to an EMC VNX iSCSI array. Any idea how I can migrate this host? Open Migrator doesn’t support Microsoft iSCSI initiators so that is out of the question.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
13 Replies
LeeGoodwin
1 Nickel

Re: iSCSI Migration

i would say the easiest method is to create all the new volume on the new VNX add the new VNX to the server and copy at a Server level all the data over. When complete disconnect the old unit and reboot the server and that should be it. Robo copy should work but won't if DAS to iSCSI

Time wise is as fast as the bus

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

LeeGoodwin wrote:

Robo copy should work but won't if DAS to iSCSI

what do you mean ?

0 Kudos
LeeGoodwin
1 Nickel

Hi What i mean is if you have a direct attached SCSI, SATA or IDE drive you cannot copy to iSCSI, or last time i tried it would not work

Seems FC to FC ok

iSCSI  to iSCSI ok

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

as long as there is a drive letter or UNC path ..robocopy does not care.

0 Kudos
rbhat23
1 Nickel

Thanks Guys. Is there any other solution other than Robocopy? Also let me know if there are any EMC based tools that I can utilize?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

present new storage from VNX, create new database in Exchange and move mailboxes.

0 Kudos
kelleg
4 Ruthenium

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

glen

0 Kudos
benconrad1
2 Iron

FYI for all, we migrated about 40-50 LUNs from Equallogic to VNX using Open Migrator & iSCSI.  Had zero issues.  Many of the servers were 1.5TB.  Migrated serveral MSCS servers and that went great as well.

The interface could use some tweaking and my fingers were about to fall off from all the clicking but it worked great.

Ben

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rainer_EMC
5 Rhenium

Thanks for the feedback

Always good to hear from actual customer experience

0 Kudos