Highlighted
Pardhu_2010
2 Bronze

san copy zoning

Hi Folks,

We are planning to migrate the data from old DMX to VNX and we decided to use SAN Copy for this migration. I am searching for the zoning procedure but I am getting the clarion to vnx procedure only. Can some one advice me the considerations and procedure of SAN Copy Zoning between DMX and VNX and any other recommendations.

Thanks in Advance

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
dynamox
6 Thallium

Re: san copy zoning

have you considered Open Replicator (hot push), instead of SANCopy pull. OR hot push would provide much shorter downtime versus SANCopy pull.

As far as zoning is concerned you need to zone VNX ports to FA where your devices are mapped to. So for example let's say my devices are mapped to FA: 13a:1 and 4a:1, i would zone like this:

Fabric A

zone1 - fa13a:1 -  vnxspa-0

zone2 - fa13a:1 - vnxspb-3

Fabric B

zone1 - fa4a:1 -  vnxspa-3

zone2 - fa4a:1 - vnxspb-0

or something of that nature, you get the point.  I zone each FA to both SPA and SPB.

Pardhu_2010
2 Bronze

Thanks Dynamox.

Yes we have considered OR hot push, but our symcli version is 6.2 and looks like some of the OR functionality(symsan ) is not supporting in symcli 6.2.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

any reason you can't upgrade symcli ?

0 Kudos
Pardhu_2010
2 Bronze

Management want to use SANCOPY...:)

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

you need to do some education then. If you are going to use SANCopy pull, the application will be down during the entire time it takes you to pull the data from DMX4, could be hours depending on how much to be copied. Open Replicator hot push will allow you to "pre-copy" the data to VNX, then on the date of migration shutdown the app, perform final OR copy and cut over to VNX. We are talking minutes versus hours here. If they are afraid the break existing script with symcli upgrade, stand up another server (can be a VM), present some gatekeepers (RDM physical mode) and manage your migration from there.

Pardhu_2010
2 Bronze

I will see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Coming to SAN Copy zoning, I have zoned vnx SP ports with dmx FA ports in the below order.

Fabric A

zone1 - fa8a:0 -  vnxspa-2

zone2 - fa8a:0 - vnxspb-3

Fabric B

zone1 - fa9a:0 -  vnxspa-3

zone2 - fa9a:0 - vnxspb-2

After activating the zoning I have ran "symmask -sid xxx refresh" and "symcfg discover" commands in symm mgmt server.

I am able to see the vnx sp ports, but they are not logged in. Similarly in vnx i have refreshed the initiators, but I am not able to see the dmx fa ports.

Is there any thing I am missing?

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Thallium

In Unisphere on right hand side select "Update SAN Copy connections", this should force VNX port login to DMX FAs (and you should see them using symmask list logins)

Pardhu_2010
2 Bronze

Yup I am able to see them. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Pardhu_2010
2 Bronze

Hi Dynamax,

Does DMX microcode 5671  supports the solution enabler 6.3.2 and does it supports all the OR features?

Can you advice the location where I can download the solution enabler for windows host.

Thanks in advance..

0 Kudos