Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2012 23:00

v05.32.000.5.006 rebalance/extending existing pools

Hi,

two questions about pools in the new VNX code release:

will the new Inyo code also autobalance my exisiting tiers witin a pools, so the pre Inyo pools I've created.

And is there any difference in the way pools are extended, if for some reason a customer want's to extend with 8 drives a 4+1R5 tier witin a pool. Will it use all 8 drives so it creates a 7+1 or wil it only create one 4+1R5. Because if we're using a 14+2R6 for our NL-SAS 3TB tier and he is only allowed to extend with the same amount of drives than that's something we have to consider when designing stuff.

Regards,

John

8.6K Posts

July 19th, 2012 01:00

Yes

For adding drives – if that disk tier already exists in your pool extension is done using the same RAID level and raidgroup size

If it’s a new pool you get to choose between RAID levels and the two raidgroup sizes

115 Posts

July 20th, 2012 06:00

Rainer,

If I understand it correctly any existing pools (even after upgrading to Inyo) will still follow the old "same raid type throughout the pool" structure and expanding that pool will be the same scenario as the present code. Is that correct?

8.6K Posts

July 20th, 2012 07:00

It is the same rules as when expanding a pool – no matter if the pool was created with the previous version or not

Per disk tier (EFD, SAS, NL-SAS) in a pool you can have one RAID config (level and size).

IF your pool already has a RAID config for that tier then any added disks will follow that config

IF the pool doesn’t have disks from that tier configured you can choose when you add disks from that tier for the first time

Rainer

43 Posts

July 20th, 2012 07:00

It will depend on whether or not that pool already exists.  If that tier has never been used, you will be able to choose a different RAID type when running VNX OE for Block 05.32.000.5.006 even if the pool was created prior to upgrading.  If that tier already exists, it will use the existing RAID type.

No Events found!