Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2015 23:00

vVNX OVA Deployment. vVNX start in service mode

hi everyone. I have a issue with deploying vVNX. OVA template is deployed and vVNX was started. But when i login to vVNX with ESXi Console using service account and run svc_diag result say that Virtual Hardware configuration doesn't match supported profiles. VM have a 16GB ram and vCPU. I tried with default configuration with 12GB ram and 2 vCPU to. Result is same. Any solution?

May 7th, 2015 19:00

Hi, Taryel

Did you read installation gude?

vVNX Installation Guide

You have to do initial config.

May 7th, 2015 21:00

Hi. I am deploy this OVA file to our production environment (for testing not for using in production). All necessary preparation already done network, datastore etc.

Yes i read Installation Guide.. My option is "Deploy vVNX through a vCenter Server". Where i can find checksum for OVA file? I wanna check file for integrity.(24f43160674e6dcf63169ee2563b9d0c)

May 10th, 2015 17:00

hmmm...

I deployed vVNX through a vCenter Server too.

But run svc_diag result  have not any problem.

What is your ESXi version?

May 12th, 2015 22:00

ESXi 5.5 IBM Customized. ESXi Host is IBM PureFlex x440 with 256 GB ram.

4.5K Posts

May 15th, 2015 12:00

These are the requirement for the hardware - my understanding is it will not run unless these are met.

Requirements

There are strict hardware and memory allocation requirements tied to the vVNX. The specified

amount of vCPUs and System Memory must match exactly, otherwise the vVNX will block the

system from booting up to prevent improper use. In addition, a hardware RAID controller on the

ESXi server must be used to configure redundant storage for the vVNX. If storage is being

provided from a redundant storage array, a RAID controller on the ESXi server is not required. A

full description of requirements is detailed in Table 1

Table 1 – vVNX Requirements

System Property: Requirement:

Hardware Processor Xeon E5 Series Quad/Dual Core CPU 64-bit x86 Intel 2 GHz

(or greater)

Hardware Memory 16GB (minimum)

Hardware Network 2x1 GbE or 2x10 GbE

Hardware RAID (for Server DAS) RAID card 512MB NV cache, battery backed

(recommended)

Virtual Processor Cores 2 (2GHz+)

Virtual System Memory 12GB

Virtual Network Adapters 5 (2 ports for I/O, 1 for Unisphere, 1 for SSH, 1 for CMI)

glen

2 Posts

May 18th, 2015 06:00

Any way to trick vVNX to run on a non E5 xeon CPU?  Trying to run it in a small lab on an old i7 tower as a test.

20 Posts

May 18th, 2015 12:00

Deploy using the webclient instead of the vSphere client, than it will work.

20 Posts

May 18th, 2015 23:00

Ik guessed so, i ran into the same problem The documentation states it can be deployed used the 'legacy' client but my experience is that this does not work and results in the problem you and i ran into. Enjoy this fine product,

Stefan.

Yes Exactly.  1 of my friend deploy to ESXi 6.0 with legacy vSphere C# Client and no problem with ESXi 6.

Thanks. It really works

13 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 12:00

The reason the server hardware needs to be newer is that the CPU needs to support at least the sse4_2 instruction set.  If this is not present, your deployment will put you in to service mode.

SSE4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the vVNX FAQ we list this in the HW requirements table on page 2.

Hardware CPU Processor SSE

version

SSE4.2 or greater

June 25th, 2015 15:00

Hi Guys,

I have same problem as above.

My ESXi 5.5 has 32 GB ram and has an i5 750.

Apparently it supports SSE 4.2 and running CPU Identification tool from VMWare shows the same. I get the same error as above, goes directly into service mode. I don't have any hardware RAID controllers, so could that be a problem?

My primary use case for running vvnx is to develop against Virtual VNX API. I don't actually need fully functional virtual VNX. Is there something else like an emulator available that would allow me have a full API?

June 29th, 2015 06:00

mburriss, no changes to made to vVNX, deployed as it is. Always fails, tried on ESXi 5.5 using webclient or vSphere Client. All tries failed.

Funnily enough, I nested a ESXi 6 hypervisor on top of my 5.5 on the same hardware and deployed to ESXi 6 using webclient. It worked right away, it is a bit slow, but it works. I am have not yet worked out why is that as I don't know what hardware profile checks it makes (partition is encrypted and debug logs are not revealing much).

So food for thought, why it works on ESXi 6 and does not work on ESXi 5.5 on same hardware?

13 Posts

June 29th, 2015 06:00

rizwansarwar:  If your hardware is new enough to avoid the SSE 4.2 issue, did you modify the vVNX's setting before first deploy?  Like add any virtual disks?  I wanted to be sure this was not your issue since that could also cause a "configuration" error on first deploy that will put you in service mode.  The vVNX OVA has to be deployed "as is" before any changes can be made to it.

No Events found!