Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

3 Posts

January 26th, 2022 11:00

Automate user creation

I'm building an ansible playbook that creates user on different storage devices. I was able to find information for VNX, Brocade and Unity.

But I was not able to find any API or Ansible Module about user and role management for VPLEX.
I found this module (https://github.com/dell/ansible-vplex), but it only contains management modules.

The storage admin only gave me the commands to create, list and delete a user:

# Add user
user add 
# List user
user list | grep 
# Remove user
user remove 

But running this commands directly with ansible doesn't work due to how Ansible execute the playbook on a remote host.

Can someone point me in to API or ansible module that manages user and role permissions?

Thanks

286 Posts

January 26th, 2022 12:00

Hi! What do you mean "creates user on different storage devices"? Can you show me what you found with unity to compare?

There are only a few users

ankurpatel_0-1643226936153.png

3 Posts

January 26th, 2022 12:00

So for Unity I found this ansible module:
https://github.com/jialehuo/ansible-dellemc-unity/blob/master/library/dellemc_unity.py

Basically one of the module functions is to create a user

- name: Updates and queries
  dellemc_unity:
    unity_hostname: "192.168.0.202"
    unity_username: admin
    unity_password: Password123!
    unity_updates:
      - {resource_type: user, name: test1, password: Welcome1!, role: administrator, attributes: [name]}

I have been reading the module and its performing the user creation through the API.

The only user I need to create right now its an admin user.

286 Posts

January 26th, 2022 14:00

Hi, talking w the developers we dont have API for user creation. Can you tell me the story behind needing this feature? Generally users arent created and destroyed frequently, but if you can give me the larger orchestration you are trying to do I can try to get it on our roadmap 

3 Posts

January 27th, 2022 05:00

The idea behind the automation is that every-time we have a new hire or someone leave the company, the team lead can run the playbook to create/delete the user id from the different storage devices.

As we manage different storage devices, the intention is not to frequently create and destroy users but to have a centralize place to perform them.

286 Posts

January 30th, 2022 15:00

Thanks! I will pass this along and let you know of any progress

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2022 04:00

Hello, I hope that is not a problem if I reply to this topic even if 2 month are gone.

Are there any news regarding this request?
On our vplexs we use an user to monitor the cluster status, but the pwd expire after some time and we need to manually modify them. We would like to create an ansible playbook that go on all vplex and update the pwd. This module could be very usefull.

No Events found!