Highlighted
WillSanders
2 Iron

Need to migrate meta devices, meta backups, and log LUNs to a new array

Hello,

Looking for help with the procedures to migrate meta devices, meta backups, and log devices from one array to another.   We are

running a VPLEX Metro configuration, and currently our setup looks like the following on 5.2.x:

VPlexcli:/clusters/cluster-1/system-volumes> ll

Name                                    Volume Type     Operational  Health  Active  Ready  Geometry  Component  Block     Block  Capacity  Slots

--------------------------------------  --------------  Status       State   ------  -----  --------  Count      Count     Size   --------  -----

--------------------------------------  --------------  -----------  ------  ------  -----  --------  ---------  --------  -----  --------  -----

vplex1_logging_vol_vol                  logging-volume  ok           ok      -       -      raid-1    2          5242880   4K     20G       -

vplex1_metavol                          meta-volume     ok           ok      true    true   raid-1    2          20971264  4K     80G       64000

vplex1_metavol_backup_2015Jun18_053039  meta-volume     ok           ok      false   true   raid-1    1          20971264  4K     80G       64000

vplex1_metavol_backup_2015Jun19_053138  meta-volume     ok           ok      false   true   raid-1    1          20971904  4K     80G       64000

The vplex1_logging_vol_vol is made up of one LUN from a VMAX, and another LUN from a VNX.  We are replacing the VNX, and

we need to migrate to a new VNX.

vplex1_metavol is also made up of one LUN from a VMAX, and another LUN from the same VNX that we are replacing.  We also

need to migrate it to a new VNX.

vplex1_metavol_backup_2015Jun19_053138  is on the VNX we are replacing, so I need to move that as well.

I've seen some procedures out there, but some of show commands/outputs that don't match up with what I see in 5.2.x.

Anyone done this?  Anyone have procedures?

Thanks,

Will

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
echolaughmk
3 Zinc

Re: Need to migrate meta devices, meta backups, and log LUNs to a new array

Check out the Solve Desktop procedures..they detail how to migrate the meta-volume (meta-volume move command) and logging volumes. The CLI commands are also outlined in the VPLEX CLI guide as well on support.emc.com.

0 Kudos
galcomm
1 Copper

Re: Need to migrate meta devices, meta backups, and log LUNs to a new array

Hi Will,

Did you end up completing this task?, do you have any advice as to which guides were more helpful (or can recall how you did it?) I'm approaching a similar project myself and want to make sure I dont end up causing any issues.

Many Thanks,

Gareth

0 Kudos