Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2015 11:00

Need to migrate meta devices, meta backups, and log LUNs to a new array

Hello,

Looking for help with the procedures to migrate meta devices, meta backups, and log devices from one array to another.   We are

running a VPLEX Metro configuration, and currently our setup looks like the following on 5.2.x:

VPlexcli:/clusters/cluster-1/system-volumes> ll

Name                                    Volume Type     Operational  Health  Active  Ready  Geometry  Component  Block     Block  Capacity  Slots

--------------------------------------  --------------  Status       State   ------  -----  --------  Count      Count     Size   --------  -----

--------------------------------------  --------------  -----------  ------  ------  -----  --------  ---------  --------  -----  --------  -----

vplex1_logging_vol_vol                  logging-volume  ok           ok      -       -      raid-1    2          5242880   4K     20G       -

vplex1_metavol                          meta-volume     ok           ok      true    true   raid-1    2          20971264  4K     80G       64000

vplex1_metavol_backup_2015Jun18_053039  meta-volume     ok           ok      false   true   raid-1    1          20971264  4K     80G       64000

vplex1_metavol_backup_2015Jun19_053138  meta-volume     ok           ok      false   true   raid-1    1          20971904  4K     80G       64000

The vplex1_logging_vol_vol is made up of one LUN from a VMAX, and another LUN from a VNX.  We are replacing the VNX, and

we need to migrate to a new VNX.

vplex1_metavol is also made up of one LUN from a VMAX, and another LUN from the same VNX that we are replacing.  We also

need to migrate it to a new VNX.

vplex1_metavol_backup_2015Jun19_053138  is on the VNX we are replacing, so I need to move that as well.

I've seen some procedures out there, but some of show commands/outputs that don't match up with what I see in 5.2.x.

Anyone done this?  Anyone have procedures?

Thanks,

Will

522 Posts

June 19th, 2015 18:00

Check out the Solve Desktop procedures..they detail how to migrate the meta-volume (meta-volume move command) and logging volumes. The CLI commands are also outlined in the VPLEX CLI guide as well on support.emc.com.

15 Posts

September 28th, 2016 04:00

Hi Will,

Did you end up completing this task?, do you have any advice as to which guides were more helpful (or can recall how you did it?) I'm approaching a similar project myself and want to make sure I dont end up causing any issues.

Many Thanks,

Gareth

No Events found!