Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2017 07:00

Provisioning Unitity Storage from VPLEX GUI

Hi all,

what is needed to control storage resources from VPLEX GUI? We have an Unitity System and we want to managed the provisioning from VPLEX GUI. So you have just one instance.

For VNX and VMAX Arrays you must install the Solution Enabler with SMI-S Provider. Since Version 8.0 (Solution Enabler) the Support is just for VMAX.

Which Settings are Software is needed to provisioned storage from VPLEX?

Thanks,

Chris

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

March 6th, 2018 00:00

If you have 2 unity systems, with one on each site, you should only add one unity to each cluster.

The error message is quite common. Just restart the management service on each cluster. See this KB.

502814 : VPLEX: VIAS operations that require cross-cluster communication fail https://support.emc.com/kb/502814

Log out of all GUI sessions, then log in to each cluster via SSH (but do not go into VPLEXCLI) and run:

sudo /etc/init.d/VPlexManagementConsole restart

Wait a few minutes before logging back in to the GUI

2 Intern

• 

137 Posts

November 17th, 2017 01:00

Minimum VPLEX Code Version is 6.0 for supporting Unity with VIAS (and 6.0 SP4 is highly recommended).

You need to add the Unity directly as SMI-S. Just enter the Management IP Address of the Unity array and use SSL (port 5989, I think). Enter the login details for Unity, and then it will be added as a Managed Array. You don't need any external SMI-S provider or Solutions Enabler.

3 Posts

March 5th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

we can added the storage-systems only on one Cluster:

We have two unity-Systems, one on each site, when I open the VPlex-Gui and add this two Systems on one Cluster... no Problem. If I try to connect the same storage-systems on the other Cluster (cluster-2), then I get the Error:

Failed to register array management provider. Unreachable remote system 'clsuter-2'.

When I Login to the clsuter-2-GUI I have the same problem with storge for Cluster-1.

We want to take provisioning of distributed storage.

Thanks...

3 Posts

March 6th, 2018 02:00

Hi,

many thanks... now it works.

Last question: How can you delete a array-System from the AMP? I unregister the System but I can't delete them.

regards,

Chris

116 Posts

June 10th, 2019 22:00

Is there anyway to customize the Unity LUN naming convention? The VIAS only allow the virtual name to be specified. The dumb part is the backend Unity Array LUNs name is not even following the virtual volume name that we specify. In the end the user will struggle and correlate the unity LUN if they need to troubleshoot backend performance in fugure.
No Events found!