Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2012 06:00

Remove LUNs from VPLEX without Call Home Event

We are migrating a lot of LUNs from HDS to EMC VNX\VMAXe systems.

Everything goes smooth until we try to remove the old LUNs from VPLEX.

After the migrations have completed, we tear down the Volumes, Device, Extents, etc and Unclaim the Devices. As soon as we unmask the devices to VPLEX, we get a Call Home...  We rediscover the array and it shows that it's missing volumes (which were the ones we unmasked)...

We've asked for a proceedure to properly remove devices so VPLEX doesn't dial home and we would like to do this through the GUI - I like the visual confirmation that what I'm unclaiming and destroying is in fact unused - There is absolutely no room for the possibility of error.

What I do now as soon as I unmask (and get the call home) I run the following CLI command:

storage-volume forget -i

Is there a way to "forget" LUNs from the GUI?

Just wondering what everyone else does?

4 Posts

June 4th, 2012 15:00

after you unclaim the luns in vplex you have to tell the vplex to forget the luns. if you do not do that and unmask the devices from vplex it will throw errors saying it cannot find the luns and will call home. To avoid that do the following.

1. after you unclaim the luns in vplex run the below command to tell vplex to forget the luns.

VPlexcli:/clusters/cluster-1/storage-elements/storage-volumes> forget --logical-unit-id VPD83T3:6006016097802d008496f500e242e111 --cluster cluster-1

2. unmask the luns from vplex

7 Posts

May 18th, 2012 11:00

Maybe you can turn off "EMC Dial home".

See this powerlink article: emc238191

Question: How to stop EMC call home event while performing maintenance activities.

Question: How to stop EMC dial home event while performing maintenance activities.

Environment: Product: VPLEX 4.0

Fix:
  1. Log on to VPLEX Management server using the service account.
  2. From the VPLEX Management server, log on to VPLEX CLI using the service account, by typing the following command:

For VPLEX Systems running VPLEX GeoSynchrony 4.0 and 4.0.1, use the command:

service@ManagementServer:~> telnet localhost 49500

For VPLEX Systems running VPLEX GeoSynchrony 4.1, use the command:

service@ManagementServer:~> vplexcli
  3. Disable call-home using the following command.

VPlexcli:/> set notifications/call-home::enabled false --force
  4. Check to make sure that the "enabled" flag for the call-home is set to "false", by using the following command:

VPlexcli:/> ls -al notifications/call-home/

/notifications/call-home:

Attributes:

Name Value
    ------- -----
    enabled false

Contexts:

Name Description
    ---------- --------------------------------------------------
    snmp-traps Contains the SNMP trap sinks for call-home events.
  5. If you have a VPLEX Metro, repeat steps 1 through 4 on the second management server.
  6. At this point, call-home on the VPLEX system is disabled.
  7. After maintenance activities are done, please re-enable call-home using the following command.

VPlexcli:/> set notifications/call-home::enabled true

If you have a VPLEX metro system, you would need to enable call-home on both the VPLEX management servers.

4 Posts

June 4th, 2012 17:00

yeah.. seems funny to me too but unfortunately we do not have an option

15 Posts

June 4th, 2012 17:00

Yep... That's what we have been doing.

Was just hoping there was a way to do it all through the GUI as it's very easy to tell which volumes are not in use.

Seems funny that we can do everything else via the GUI - Why not the last step "forget"?

7 Posts

August 10th, 2012 10:00

All,

Just a note here so that future people won't run into the same issue......context "VPlexcli:/clusters/cluster-1/storage-elements/storage-volumes" requires the switch "-d"  or "--storage-volume".

The above example "--logical-unit-id" or "-i" will require the context for VPlexcli:/clusters/cluster-1/storage-arrays/{arrayName}/logical-units

165 Posts

March 24th, 2014 13:00

Hi Praveen,

Whats the best way to unclaim a storage volume. Can we just tear down a virtual volume which brings it to storage volume to unclaim or do it step by step like virtual volumes->devices->extents->storage volumes and then unclaim.

Is there a logical explanation if not to choose direct tear down of virtual volume ?

Thanks,

Damal

No Events found!