Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2016 19:00

VPLEX Metro, Break and Recover

I'll be using VPLEX Metro to move from our current corporate campus to our new campus, and then to provide site resiliency after that.  Due to connectivity and infrastructure limitations, we're taking a roundabout route -- migrating thru our DR site.

I'll use VPLEX Metro to move workloads (SQL, Oracle, and VMware) to our DR site.  Once everything is running at our DR site, I'll pack up the VPLEX and storage arrays from our current campus and move them to the new data center.

Once the VPLEX and associated SAN switches, circuits, and storage arrays are in place at the new site, I'll put everything back together.  It may take a couple days to ship and re-assemble the equipment, during which time production services will be running at the DR site.  I've got a couple of questions for the community:

If I re-cable everything properly, and if the links are back in place, will the VPLEX cluster at the new campus "re-join" the cluster at the DR site?

Will a full re-sync of data be required?  Will ALL the data on ALL the metro LUNs be re-copied, or just the changed tracks?

Thanks in advance for the response!

March 30th, 2016 02:00

Hi

If i understand you should get vplex runnng and syncing when you turn on all element: after that you just need to check rebuild status and do "resume at loser" comand

Regards

Gianni

522 Posts

March 30th, 2016 05:00

I would agree with GianniVerduci on this - given that you are forklifting everything in this scenario from what I am reading, that cluster should basically come back online when it is all setup and has IP/WAN connection to the other side (the new datacenter). Your logging volume is staying intact on the DR site which is where the workload is moving to, so it should keep track of what has changed once you remove on of the clusters and once you get it back up at the new datacenter (cluster-1 I am presuming), it should be an incremental sync. Though given it will take a few days to do all of that, not sure what your change rate will be given that time period so it could be a good chunk of data to resync.

No Events found!