Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 11th, 2012 08:00

VPLEX and Mirrorview/A or /S coexistence

What are the caveats (if any) of mixing Mirrorview with VPLEX on the same VNX arrays?

12 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 19:00

Hi

In general, backend replication technologies are supported with VPLEX Local and VPLEX Metro. Here is a white paper that describes a use-case with SRDF.

Broadly, with the release of the native VPLEX RecoverPoint splitter with GeoSynchrony 5.1, that is another option available to consider to meet the use-case you are describing.

A couple of things to remember in the config you are describing:

1. If you are intending to use VPLEX Metro and Mirrorview between the same two sites, then use only one technology to protect a given volume

2. For volumes that you protect with MirrorView, if the VPLEX virtual volume is migrated then the MirrorView relationship will need to be altered. This is also true when you tech refresh the backend VNX array

3. In this config, we strongly recommend strong change control processes since a change at either the VNX layer or the VPLEX layer will impact the backend replication.

If there are other questions, please let us know.

Regards

Ashish

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 07:00

For the 2nd scenario:  "Alering the relationship following a migration".   Are you referring to a Mirrorview volume that is also being used by VPLEX?

12 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 15:00

Yes that is correct - scenario (2) is for a MirrorView protected volume that has also been claimed under VPLEX.

Regards

Ashish

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 17:00

Do you know of any documents which explain best practices for "coexistence" of Mirrorview and VPLEX?

12 Posts

June 4th, 2012 10:00

I am not aware of any documentation specific to MirrorView with VPLEX.

Regards

Ashish

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2013 04:00

Hi Ashish,

I wonder if you could answer a quick question for me ?

I have a customer who is using Mirrorview on a VNX which into which they are introducing a Vplex. The Vplex is seeing the primary Mirrorview Lun but not the secondary. I can't find anything relating to deployment of mirrorview in a Vplex environment so I'm hoping you may be able to help me.

Thanks !

286 Posts

August 22nd, 2013 05:00

I assume VPLEX doesnt see the target lun because its part of the MV relationship, so VNX is likely keeping control of the volume. If you break the mirrorview relationship or promote the volume which you would in a DR scenario VPLEX should see the volume.

When you normally mask a lun to a host that is the secondary, VNX does not allow read or write access to the volume until you failover.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi Ankur,

Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me on this. As you say , Mirrorview is probably keeping control of the volume in this case. I assume his worry is that is the primary fails and the secondary (mirror) kicks in, will the fact that Vplex cannot see the secondary cause DU in some fashion. I can’t find anything specific anywhere. I’ll keep looking. Thanks again for your time. It very kind of you.

Best regards

Jason

February 21st, 2014 07:00

Sorry to come back on this old thread... but very few information for coexistance of MV and VPlex .

Iwould know if we need to dedicate specific interfaces to separate MV and VPLex traffic on the SPs ?

No Events found!