Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2015 09:00

Ask the Expert: Redefine Simplicity with VSPEX BLUE, IT that is Agile, Scalable, and Trusted

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Best Practices for the z/OS Migrator Tool

Ask the EMC Elect Experts about Fibre Channel Routing

https://community.emc.com/message/764597#764597

Welcome to this Ask the Expert conversation. Hyper Converged Infrastructure is radically simplifying the way IT is deployed, managed and scaled. EMC is launching VSPEX BLUE a Hyper Converged Infrastructure appliance built of VMware EVO:RAIL and powered by VMware and EMC software. EMC is extending the power of EVO:RAIL with the VSPEX BLUE Manager, Marketplace and Built in support. Please join us to learn more!

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=12773&size=350

Product Management Director, VSPEX - EMC
Rieko Sato is a Director, Product Management responsible for the VSPEX BLUE appliance products. Prior to this role, she led strategic planning of VNX/VNXe management software. She has over twenty years of experience in identifying market and product requirements for a wide range of software and hardware products.
profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=12671&size=350

Principal CI Solution Consultant - EMC
Curtis has been at EMC for 10 years in several different technical roles ranging from Field SE, DPAD SE, Partner SE, Principal Global SE as well as being one of the key members of the Emerging Technologies Team and is currently part of the EMC Worldwide Enablement team for the VSPEX family.
profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=12797&size=350

VSPEX Business Devleopment, Channels Asia Pacific & Japan - EMC

Ernest is responsible VSPEX Business Development for Asia Pacific & Japan (APJ) and is responsible for driving sales strategy and implementation of the VSPEX GTM framework in key countries for this theatre.
DeJongh+Diederik+Ask+the+Expert.jpg

Principal Consultant, VSPEX - EMC

Diederik is responsible as a company-wide expert for converged infrastructures, and a visible leader on his role in the acceleration of the adoption of VSPEX. Furthermore, responsible for assisting partners in creating and cultivating new business opportunities. In addition, responsible for driving qualitative and quantifiable results on VSPEX through EMC channels and business partners, and a leadership role for the development and dissemination of technical sales best practices.

Chad+Dunn+Ask+the+Expert.jpg

Sr Director Product Management, VSPEX - EMC

Dunn has 25 Years in the high tech business through a number of startups. He has been at EMC over 7 years now. He developed the concept for the VSPEX Reference Architecture Program in 2010. Now he's responsible for Product Management and Product Marketing for both the VSPEX Reference Architecture portfolio as well as VSPEX Blue.

This discussion takes place from Feb. 3 - 17. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Join me! Ask the Expert: Redefine Simplicity with VSPEX BLUE, IT that is Agile, Scalable, and Trusted http://bit.ly/1zbnFjD #EMCATE <<

15 Posts

We've been asked when this appliance will be available?

The appliance will be GA on feb 17th.

Welcome to our newest ATE session on ECN. We'd like to open this discussion for replies. Let's make of this an opportunity to respectfully engage our experts with your questions, comments or ideas. Have a great experience!

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 10:00

People are asking all about the game changing Market on VSPEX BLUE. What is it exactly and what products are listed in it?

February 3rd, 2015 12:00

Today we are offering EMC Cloud Array, RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines and VMware Data Protection for backup.  As we move forward we will be opening up the market to host other EMC software as well as software and services from our ecosystem of partners.

February 4th, 2015 04:00

I think as a "Version 1" this platform has a lot of potential, and I am excited by it's release.

Reading the transcript of the live event, I understand that each appliance (consisting of 4 nodes) in it's first iteration  will contribute ~ 13TB of usable datastore space to the vSphere cluster. How does this factor in resiliency against disk failures, given that there is no RAID protection for data ?

(apologies if this is more of a vsan specific question)

As far as suggestions go, I would like to be able to procure nodes with more flash and larger available capacities, although various posts seem to intimate that this is on the roadmap

February 4th, 2015 06:00

Brett, rather than using RAID for protection the data is mirrored to other nodes based on a setting that the user can change, (failures to tolerate). This effectively tells VSAN for a given data store how many failures in the cluster can I tolerate. The appliance has 14.4TB of raw capacity, usable will depend on the failures that can be tolerated. (Default for general purpose workloads is 1). Rather than explain it all, Duncan Epping has an excellent description of all things VSAN on his blog. http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2013/09/16/frequently-asked-questions-virtual-san-vsan/

Of course a lot of things change in the next version of VSAN. Look for that as well as vSphere 6.0 to be supported on VSPEX Blue in 2H.

3 Posts

February 9th, 2015 02:00

The same question from me.

I found a vLAB from VMware for EVO:RAIL (http://labs.hol.vmware.com/HOL/catalogs/)

but nothing about the enhanced software from EMC.

February 9th, 2015 02:00

Hi Expert members,

I was assigned to VSPEX BLUE Pre-Sales Engineer

So I want to learning A.S.A.P, when can I get e-Learning or Class room training?

And where can I get technical review or specific information?

Now I'm participating in Presales minor VMware.

15 Posts

February 18th, 2015 10:00

We have developed out an Enablement center for VSPEX BLUE which hosts all the content we have for partners. https://www.emc.com/auth/rpage/ec-for-vspex-blue.htm

15 Posts

February 18th, 2015 11:00

We are developing out VSPEX BLUE vlabs at the moment. They are scoped out and are in the test and document cycle and will be available in the coming months.

February 18th, 2015 16:00

Thank you GOOD INFORMATION!!

I have wanted to get like the informations : )

4 Posts

February 19th, 2015 15:00

Hi team,

a customer asked me couple of questions:

1/ can he add separate servers (other servers that he owns) into a VSPEX blue cluster, so that they can use its storage.

2/ my customer wants to have 16 appliances, I assume this would be set a 4 set of 4 appliances? we cannot make them communicate into a single cluster?

3/ what is the roadmap in terms of features for this year, I heard that we will support ESX 6, but would be increase number of nodes, any other features expected?

thanks

4 Posts

February 19th, 2015 16:00

thanks

February 19th, 2015 16:00

There are only two types of disks in VSPEX BLUE an 1 X SSD and 3 X SAS for each node in the appliance. The SSD acts as a write cache for VSAN that destages to the spinning media. The other Flash device that you see is a boot device for installation where we store our software.

Best Regards,

Chad Dunn

@VSPEXGuy_Chad

No Events found!