Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2015 08:00

Ask the Expert: Best Practice for fixing ViPR SRM Topology Maps and Queries on it

Welcome to this Ask the Expert discussion.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Best Practice for ViPR SRM Solution Pack installation and configuration

Ask the Experts: ECS 2.2- A Cloud Unlike Any Other

https://community.emc.com/thread/209246

During this event we'll go over the best ways to fix and resolve, as well as steps to discover the topology maps in SRM monitoring and reporting. Let's discuss how topology works in SRM and address some basic topology queries. Will address issues in Topology data collection and how it works. Our support subject matter experts are available during the period of this event to provide you detailed information and support on any of your queries.

Meet Your Experts:

Krishna.Yalamanchi.png

Technical Support Engineer III

Krishna is a member of the EMC India ASD (Advanced Software Division), working with SRM support team from past three year, have experience in ECC, ProSphere and UIM products.  Previously worked with ClARiiON support.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=16475&size=350

Associate Principal Engineer

After completing his MS in Cloud Computing Gnan started working at EMC and has been for the past 5 years. During his tenure, he has helped develope a few websites for his team to help PS and SRM teams deal with upgrade project and customer follow-up's.

This discussion takes place from Dec. 28th - Jan. 15th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Ask the Expert: Topology Maps in ViPR SRM Best Practice for fixing ViPR SRM Topology Maps and Queries on it  http://bit.ly/1OGhQnI  #EMCATE <<

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 28th, 2015 02:00

Welcome all,

This Ask the Expert session is now open for questions. For the next couple of weeks our SMEs will be around to reply to your questions, comments or inquiries about our topic. Let's make this conversation useful, respectful and entertaining for all.

Cheers!

1 Message

December 28th, 2015 06:00

What issues are there with the topology maps?  What steps do we need to go through to fix them and how can we query them repeatedly and have consistent results?
Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 29th, 2015 00:00

Hello Sean,

You have different scenarios with the Topology maps, few of them as follows,

1. Maps do not show any objects( Hosts, Arrays & Switches ).

2. Maps do not show for only for few objects.

3. Maps not being displayed for passively discovered hosts.

4. Maps not being displayed after upgrading to newer version of SRM, etc.

Starting SRM version 3.6, a Diagnostic UI is available for both Topology service and Topology-Mapping-Service, which allows easy access to all diagnostic and recovery features mentioned below.

The diagnostic UI is web based and available via the following URLS:

https:// :48443/Backends/Topology-service/Default/diagnostics/ui

Primary Backend on SRM is where the Topology service is installed.

Topology Mapping Service is installed on each collector installed on SRM and the URL for it is

https:// :48443/Backends/Topology-Mapping-Service/Default/diagnostics/ui

Using the above two links you will be able to find if the raw values for the discovered objects are being polled in SRM and we can troubleshoot accordingly.

Prior to SRM 3.6 we have SPARQL queries to query the topology data.

Thanks & Regards,

Krishna

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 4th, 2016 23:00

Hi Sean,

I would like to add more points to Krishna's previous post on troubleshooting.

Starting from 3.6 maps service is removed from frontend host. Frontend will query the Topology db directly and display the maps.

Few points to keep in mind about topology issues:

1. SNIA libraries should be up-to-date on the hosts that is discovered in SRM.

2. Some times Topology mapping service(Collector host) might not be in sync with Topology service (Primary backend)

i. Synchronization can be manually triggered by using below link:

https:// :48443/Backends/Topology-Mapping-Service/Default/diagnostics/ui

ii. Accept the security exception

iii. Username - admin, Password - changeme

iv. Click on Resynchronize at the bottom of the page to send the latest data to Topology Service.

3. If you would like to see the objects stored in Topology database, you can query them using this link:

i. Navigate to this link -   https:// :48443/Backends/Topology-service/Default/diagnostics/ui

ii. Accept Security Warning

iii. Username - admin, password-changeme

iv. Click on Launch Explorer

v. There would be variety of options in the drop down list.

vi. For example if you would like to verify the host details

In Type: select http://ontologies.emc.com/2013/08/srm#Host option

In Filter By select : http://ontologies.emc.com/2013/08/srm#displayname

Enter hostname in value field. Click on Object id to view the details.Drill down to see more details.

Troubleshooting:

1. Verify is the correct backend name is specified in collector configuration files:

cat /opt/APG/Backends/Topology-Mapping-Service/Default/conf/tmsconfig.xml

Primary Backend Name

2. If the maps are not available you can refresh the topology database by deleting the data folder on Collector host:

i. Stop all the services on Collector host.

ii. Navigate to /opt/APG/Backends/Topology-Mapping-Service/Default and remove data folder.

iii. Restart all the services.

3. Edit /opt/APG/Backends/Topology-Mapping-Service/Default/topology-mapping-service.properties and

change com.emc.srm.topology.mapping-service.rawValueRDFUpdateManager.ignoreAction=false to true.

Details about this flag: 

# Collectors flag each RawValue as either "FORCE_REFRESH" or "NO_ACTION"

# From the mapping service perspective, this means either "map" or

# "don't bother mapping", respectively.  If you wish the mapping service to

# always map regardless of the RawValue flag, then set this flag to true.

Restart topology mapping service after changing the above flag.

4. If you need support from EMC to troubleshoot topology related issues please open an SR by uploading below logs:

i. Diagnostic logs from Collector, PBE and Frontend hosts.

ii. Journal copy from Collector host : /opt/APG/Backends/Topology-Mapping-Service/Default/data/topology/local  

/LocalStore.jnl

Regards

Gnanendra

68 Posts

January 6th, 2016 11:00

How does topology maps work for IBM VIO Servers / Client LPARS. In my case it only displays the Host and does not display the end to end storage connectivity.

What steps can I follow to troubleshoot this issue in detail. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vaishak

74 Posts

January 7th, 2016 07:00

Did you discover the servers both via the Physical Host SP and the IBM LPAR SP?  You need both to collect all the required information.

Dan

68 Posts

January 7th, 2016 08:00

Yes the hosts are discoverable via the Physical Host SP and IBM LPAR SP, however I noticed that the Disk Information is not being populated in the reports, the fields return a blank value.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 7th, 2016 21:00

Topology maps related question:

I assume you have added IP address/hostname of both VIO Server and VIO Clients (i.e; LPAR) on discovery center.

1. If you do not see HBA tables being populated you would need to verify SNIA libs on the host.

2. Use INQ tool that gets pushed into $USR_HOME. If you do not allow SRM to push INQ on the host, please download them from generic-rsc collector. INQ for correct OS variant (i.e.; AIX 64 bit?) needs to be installed on host. Run the option inq -snia_test to verify whether your SNIA libraries are reported correctly.

SRM will require INQ to identify correct HBA Port WWN values from INQ values to report end to end connectivity on maps.

Disk Information:

Please send support logs from the host; perl ./LunMappingDetection.pl support=/tmp/ _log.txt

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 8th, 2016 06:00

Hey Brian,

Please upload the physical host/ibm lpar collector logs along with the information requested by Raghu to the below ftp share.

https://ftp.emc.com/action/login?domain=ftp.emc.com&username=VTTEGIZV5&password=DBAu9FxuA5

This link will be active for 7 days.

Regards

Gnanendra

68 Posts

January 8th, 2016 09:00

Hello Gnan,

I have uploaded the Collector Diagnostics and also the logs for IBM LPAR and Generic RSC to the FTP Link.

Thanks a lot for your assistance in this regard.

Vaishak

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 11th, 2016 00:00

Hello Vaishak,

I see a lot of errors in the LPAR logs,

" unable to find valid certification path to requested target"

" Error while connecting to WinRM host SSEXMSP1.gwl.bz"

"PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target."

Did you run the option "inq-snia_test" to verify whether your SNIA libraries are reported correctly ? share the output of this command as well.

This need a detailed investigation, I would request you to open a SR with "EMC Support", we need to document all these issues. Once the SR is opened, please email me the SR number @ Krishna.yalamanchi@emc.com, I will take it further.

Also please send support logs from the host:

perl ./LunMappingDetection.pl support=/tmp/ _log.txt.

Thanks & Regards,

Krishna

January 21st, 2016 04:00

This Ask the Expert event has officially ended, but don't let that retract you from asking more questions. At this point our SME are still welcomed to answer and continue the discussion though not required. Here is where we ask our community members to chime in and assist other users if they're able to provide information.

Many thanks to our SMEs who selflessly made themselves available to answer questions. We also appreciate our users for taking part of the discussion and ask so many interesting questions.

ATE events are made for your benefit as members of ECN. If you’re interested in pitching a topic or Subject Matter Experts we would be interested in hearing it. To learn more on what it takes to start an event please visit our Ask the Expert Program Space on ECN.

8 Posts

February 8th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for leaving this open for questions.

I am trying to get topology working on a Linux host.  When I run "inq -snia_test", I get the following error:

!!! SNIA INITIALIZATION FAILED - THIS CONFIGURATION MAY BE UNSUPPORTED !!!

This is running on an RHEL 6.7 system.  I have verified that libHBAAPI.so.2 is in /usr/lib64.

Am I missing a configuration step?  This seems to be the only thing I'm missing to get topology working for my hosts.

Thanks.

No Events found!