January 15th, 2014 03:00

Configuring VMware's VASA with ViPR

Hi,

I have installed vipr-1.0.0.8.103 with below IP addresses configured:

UI, REST: 10.112.93.62

vipr1 (10.112.93.27)

vipr2 (10.112.93.37)

vipr3 (10.112.93.48)

I wanted to configure VASA with ViPR, so I gave a VASA base URL at admin ->config -> Other as http://10.112.93.62:8090/vasa/services/vasaService

All vipr nodes got restarted but this URL is not accessible. I even tried giving http://10.112.93.27:8090/vasa/services/vasaService , but still it is not accessible in browser.

Please suggest how to integrate VASA with ViPR.

-Sachin

233 Posts

January 16th, 2014 08:00

Hi Sachin

The VASA provider is built into ViPR Controller and is installed when it is installed. By default the VASA provider utilizes the local ViPR nodes.

VIPR VASA Provider is basically a service running on the App. To confirm its running go to Admin -> System > System Health and confirm vasasvc is running.

ServiceStats Screenshot - 17_01_2014 , 08_44_19.png

You can edit the ViPR instance URL that the VASA storage provider utilizes from the Admin -> Configuration -> Other but if using the default (inbuilt VASA with ViPR) leave this UI blank. If you have details in the text field remove and save for the VMS to reboot.

Please try the following to resolve your issue. If you still run into issue please open an SR with support for us to look at the issue by webEX etc...

1. Confirm the Health of the inbuilt VIPR VASA Provider

2. Goto https://< Virtual IP address (VIP) of the ViPR instance>:9083/storageos-vasasvc/

Welcome Screenshot - 16_01_2014 , 16_16_03.png

3. Select Services to View the list of all the available services deployed in this server. This will bring you to https://< Virtual IP address (VIP) of the ViPR instance>/storageos-vasasvc/services/listServices

VASAservice.png

4. From the listServices page look for vasaService - Service EPR (End Point Reference URL) Copy the vasaService URL from the webpage.

5. With the VSphere Web Client Go to Home -> VCenter-> VCenter Servers-> XXXXXXXX > Manage -> Storage Providers

Storage Providers Screenshot2 - 16_01_2014 , 16_24_02 002.png

6. In the Register Storage Provider box that is displayed, Provide the following values. Be careful with the format of the login name see below details to confirm all is ok. Click on OK when the details are correct. If you get a Security Alert, Click Yes to continue.

SRM Provider Screenshot - 16_01_2014 , 16_25_20.png

7. Once added, make sure the Storage Provider Details is online. This might take a few minutes.

VASAOnline Screenshot - 16_01_2014 , 16_26_50.png

Be aware of the following solution https://support.emc.com/kb/171036 if you are having issues registering Storage Provider due to user/password

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"ViPR 1.0: Unable to successfully integrate VMware VASA (vSphere API for Storage Awareness) because of username/password combination errors, although they have been verified and work within ViPR"

1. Be sure you are specifying the Virtual IP address (VIP) of the ViPR instance (which in turn has access to all ViPR Controllers)
  2. Ensure that the ViPR VIP Ports 9083 and 8443 are open bi-directionally between the vCenter Server and ESXi Servers you are attempting to integrate with ViPR
  3. Ensure that the user which is being used to register VASA between the vSphere client and ViPR has been assigned the role “System Administrator" within ViPR
  4. Lastly, also ensure that you are using the correct Domain & User ID, and in the proper format to be accepted by both the vSphere client and ViPR. This is explained in more detail in the notes below:

The naming conventions behind AD authentication which are used and accepted in vSphere versus ViPR can be slightly different. In vSphere, the client does not allow the “@” symbol for User ID’s (Ex. “admin-user@viprdomain.com”) – if you use that format (with @), you’ll receive an error that indicates that “@” is not a valid character.

Also however, if you specify the domain by its short name when entering the user (Ex. “viprdomain\admin-user”) as opposed to the FQDN (Ex. “viprdomain.com\admin-user”), you’ll simply receive a “username/password  invalid” error message in the vSphere client, which can be confusing since everything appears to be correct (domain, user ID, and password). Assuming that both ViPR and vSphere have access to the same domains, to resolve this issue, make sure you specify the full FQDN (Ex. "viprdomain.com\admin-user") of the domain in the vSphere client when integrating VASA into ViPR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards

Conor

January 17th, 2014 03:00

Thanks Conor for the detailed information.

I have added ViPR as a storage provider in the vCenter. I could also see the list of all VASA APIs residing at ViPR. I will get back to you on this front. I have below issue now related to creating storage share:

I have attached Isilon backend array. In the ViPR UI, I tried "Creating Unix Share - Create new file system and NFS export". I am getting an error. I have given the "Logs" and  "Execution Steps" below.

Do you have idea about this?

Also what is the location of logs at ViPR nodes?

Logs

Date Level Message
January 17th 2014, 1:03:03 pm INFO FileSystem ID: urn:storageos:FileShare:88445147-56a4-40f9-8be7-a650f7cea3c1:, Task ID: 9c946a39-7996-4011-8ece-2196126da0e2
January 17th 2014, 1:03:04 pm ERROR An error occurred while finding a suitable placement to handle the request (code: 1034). Cannot find a network for all the hosts in the request. Check to ensure all the hosts are associated with a network and that it is the same network.
com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.om.ServiceErrorException: An error occurred while finding a suitable placement to handle the request (code: 1034). Cannot find a network for all the hosts in the request. Check to ensure all the hosts are associated with a network and that it is the same network. at com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.filters.Exception"font-weight: bold; color: #333333; font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12.800000190734863px;">Execution Steps

Summary Detail Elapsed
Create File System POST /file/filesystems(label: Newshare, size:1 GB, vpoolId: urn:storageos:VirtualPool:3306bee6-f16b-4212-a1b6-e0f8afb1bab3:, varrayId: urn:storageos:VirtualArray:88622538-5301-4673-b716-3a8fa63815e6:, projectId: urn:storageos:Project:25af29af-dbbf-4ad1-a2c9-2b96bcdaef8f:) 2 seconds
Create Nfs Export POST /file/filesystems/urn:storageos:FileShare:88445147-56a4-40f9-8be7-a650f7cea3c1:/exports a second
com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.om.ServiceErrorException: An error occurred while finding a suitable placement to handle the request (code: 1034). Cannot find a network for all the hosts in the request. Check to ensure all the hosts are associated with a network and that it is the same network. at com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.filters.ExceptionOnErrorFilter.handle(ExceptionOnErrorFilter.java:76) at com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.filters.ProxyTokenFilter.handle(ProxyTokenFilter.java:29) at com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.filters.AuthTokenFilter.handle(AuthTokenFilter.java:34) at com.iwave.ext.emc.bourne.BourneAPIClient$2.handle(BourneAPIClient.java:133) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.Client.handle(Client.java:648) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource.handle(WebResource.java:680) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource.access$200(WebResource.java:74) at com.sun.jersey.api.client.WebResource$Builder.method(WebResource.java:632) at com.emc.bourne.api.Lglw2093LssEmcCom$FileFilesystems$IdExports.postXmlAsTaskResourceRep(Lglw2093LssEmcCom.java:20426) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.file.tasks.CreateNfsExport.doExecute(CreateNfsExport.java:41) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.file.tasks.CreateNfsExport.doExecute(CreateNfsExport.java:10) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.tasks.WaitForTask.executeTask(WaitForTask.java:16) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.tasks.WaitForTask.executeTask(WaitForTask.java:11) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionUtils.execute(ExecutionUtils.java:63) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionUtils.execute(ExecutionUtils.java:54) at com.emc.sa.service.BourneExecutionUtils.execute(BourneExecutionUtils.java:17) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.file.FileStorageUtils.createNfsExport(FileStorageUtils.java:115) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.file.CreateNfsExportHelper.createNfsExport(CreateNfsExportHelper.java:70) at com.emc.sa.service.bourne.file.CreateNfsExportService.execute(CreateNfsExportService.java:31) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionEngineImpl.execute(ExecutionEngineImpl.java:191) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionEngineImpl.runService(ExecutionEngineImpl.java:125) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionEngineImpl.executeOrder(ExecutionEngineImpl.java:68) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionEngineDispatcher.processOrder(ExecutionEngineDispatcher.java:43) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionEngineDispatcher$Consumer.consumeItem(ExecutionEngineDispatcher.java:63) at com.emc.sa.engine.ExecutionEngineDispatcher$Consumer.consumeItem(ExecutionEngineDispatcher.java:58) at com.emc.storageos.coordinator.client.service.impl.DistributedQueueImpl$5.call(DistributedQueueImpl.java:361) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

January 17th, 2014 04:00

Hi Conor,

Thanks for the info. I will raise a SR for the above mentioned error.

Can I collect these log from directly logging into the ViPR nodes?

Regards,

Sachin Nagargoje

233 Posts

Hi Sachin,

Within Create new file system and NFS export UI the "Export Hosts" text field When you added the IPs or Hostnames that should have access to the export. Values must match exactly what is specified within ViPR. Confirm IP of the host was added to the network. There must be network connectivity between the physical storage system and the target host. Ensure the hosts you are giving access to the export are successfully discovered within Admin -> Physical Assets -> Hosts / vCenter

From the help menu in the UI

Create Unix share
Creates an NFS export and sets the permissions on the export. The export details are provided in the order and you can mount it when required. If you want to create a file system and mount in on a VMware ESX Host in a single operation, you should use the service provided for that operation.
Before you begin
As a provisioning user you can only create resources and perform operations on resources belonging to projects that you are assigned to (or are the owner of). If you are a Tenant Administrator you can run all services and choose any project to be the owner of the resource.
Procedure
Select User > Service Catalog > File Storage Services > Create Unix Share.
Select the virtual storage pool that will provide the storage that you require. This usually requires you to select the virtual storage array and then select one of the virtual pools available from the virtual storage array.
The virtual storage array and virtual storage pool can be fixed by an administrator. If you do not see them, then the storage provider has been locked.
Select the project that you want the created resource to belong to. You will only see projects that you belong to and are able to create resources in.
If this field is not displayed, the service has been locked to a project and is for use only by members of that project.
Give a name to the export. This name is used when mounting it.
Enter the size of the file system.
Choose the permissions (Read-write, Read-only, or root) that will apply to the export.
Enter a comma-separated list of IP addresses or hostnames that will be allowed to access the export.
You must enter the IP address or hostname of the host exactly as it appears in the IP network. If it appears as an IP address, you should specify an IP address. If it appears as a hostname or fully qualified domain name, you should use that. If you do not have access to this information you should ask your Tenant Administrator.
Select Order.
The Orders page is displayed and you can see the progress of the order.
To mount the NFS export, you can look at the order to find its mount point.
For example:
lglw6132:/ifs/sos/Primary_myexp01_a56483f2-ff47-4a48-a072-c3eae75beb6
If you have created a mount-point directory on you system (for example, /mnt/mynfs) the export can then be mounted using:
mount -t nfs /mnt/mynfs
mount -t nfs lglw6132:/ifs/sos/Primary_myexp01_a56483f2-ff47-4a48-a072-c3eae75beb6 /mnt/mynfs
Please open separate forum posts for each new issue be easier to track.
Regards
Conor

233 Posts

Hi Sachin

The logs can be collected from the UI Admin -> logs -> Download

https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-28089 provides more details on collecting logs.

For the above issue open an SR with Support.

Regards

Conor

233 Posts

January 20th, 2014 03:00

Hi Sachin,

You may need to register your user details with https://support.emc.com/ if you have not done this already. Options available at the login screen.

If you had previously created a support.emc.com user and could login etc... below are the options to request help

At the bottom of every page in the Online Support site is a link for Site Help and Feedback. You can

use this link to submit questions and issues to EMC for follow up. Alternatively, you can email

support@emc.com directly.

Regards

Conor

How do I create a SR ticket?

When I access https://support.emc.com/ , I am unable to access it with my current credentials using which I post here at community right now.

When I go for technical chat, they ask me to redirect at https://support.emc.com/servicecenter/contactEMC/ which again does not open due to my login credentials.

Please suggest.

Hi Conor,

I could not see much options other than logging in at Welcome to EMC Support, which if I try fails.

For now, i have raised my voice at support@emc.com and ecn_support@emc.com.

Thanks for the info.

-Sachin

January 20th, 2014 05:00

Hi Conor,

I have raised a SR ticket and currently I am communicating my issue to get it resolved.

Thanks for your info.

-Sachin

January 20th, 2014 21:00

Hi Conor,

I got the issue of 'connecting Isilon with ViPR' resolved with the help of technical team from EMC.

I had below doubts regarding working of ViPR:

Q1. How do ViPR manage server swaps? Lets say I unmask a LUN and set up my FCP zones for server A. Then server A dies. Can I say that WWID XXXX is now server A’s replacement and have ViPR re-zone everything and unmask the LUN to the new WWID?

Q2. Are ViPR aware of path status for FCP and IP? What happens when a path is degraded? Do they keep provisioning against that degraded object? Do they attempt remediation?

Q3. Can ViPR take VMDK granular actions? Like, when I put a VMDK onto an NFS share, can I turn on backup against it?

Q4. Where is the service lying in ViPR for managing tenant management? URL? Say, create a new tenant.

Regards,

Sachin

16 Posts

June 26th, 2016 12:00

I have errors configuring VASA for ViPR and when I go to https://< Virtual IP address (VIP) of the ViPR instance>:9083/storageos-vasasvc/  I do not see the Apache web page. I am using ViPR 2.4.1 and I see that the vasa service is running. I also tried restarting the vasa service.

June 27th, 2016 05:00

Hi Mumshad,

I was wondering if you were following the info in this guide when setting vasa up:

http://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu59842.pdf

I do not believe the above doc was changed from version Vipr-c 2.3 to 2.4.

After you have seen the vasa serverice running, there are a few more steps after that:

Copying the Storage Provider Service EPR

Registering the Storage Provider

I hope this helps!

16 Posts

June 27th, 2016 07:00

Hi Jay,

I am trying to perform that step, but when I run the below URL, I do not see any results:

Type the appliance URL as specified https:// :9083/storageos-vasasvc/ services/listServices in the browser address bar.

Is there anything else to be done in ViPR 2.4?

16 Posts

June 27th, 2016 09:00

Never mind. My issue was due to an expired VMWare certificate, which I resolved following https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2079087

I couldn't see the Tomcat web pages mentioned above though.

No Events found!