Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 10th, 2014 11:00

Customizing Groups & Service Levels in VIPR SRM

ViPR SRM's latest release provides a way to customer groups & service levels - how exactly is that done?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 10th, 2014 14:00

ViPR SRM 3.5 introduced an entirely new interface for creating and managing groups and service levels. This new functionality makes it easy to classify storage and get detailed chargeback reports across a group of hosts that comprise an application or functional department. ViPR SRM comes with a set of default groups for VMs, Hypervisors, physical hosts and passive hosts. We also provide default definitions for Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze service levels. Let’s take a look at how we can customize groups and service levels to work in your environment.

In Centralized Management (which we access from the administration panel) there is a new entry in the tree for Groups Management.

ECN1.png

First we will look at the Device Groups which we can use to make groups of hosts that can then be used for chargeback reporting. I’ll start by making a new Device Group. I am going to use our dynamic grouping capabilities to match all Hosts that contain “orcl” or “sql”. This would select all the Oracle and SQL hosts in my environment. This dynamic group will always automatically pick up new hosts that match the dynamic selection criteria. I can also add Static Members to groups. These are a one-time static addition to my device groups for hosts that don’t follow a standard pattern for matching.

You can see in the screenshot below how easy it is to customize these groups.

ECN2.png

Now let’s take a look at the Service Level by LUN entry in the tree.

ECN3.png

In the Service Level by LUN section we have predefined service levels to classify LUNs for chargeback and SLA reporting. ViPR SRM provides predefined definitions for the service levels that can easily be customized as well as the ability to generate completely new custom rules. In the below example we can see the rule for a LUN to be classified as Platinum.

ECN4.png

These out of the box rules will mark a LUN as Platinum if it is on all Flash disks, if it is in a Platinum FAST policy or if is in a Platinum ViPR Virtual Storage Pool.  ViPR SRM allows you to create up to three custom rules, which I’ll show you below.

ECN5.png

You can see I made a custom service level named ECN Service Level that will match ECN Raid type and ECN disk type. I also specified a response time between 4ms and 12ms for this service level. Once I save this all LUNs that match this new definition will now display in all my service level reports in ViPR SRM.

The response times will be used to populate new compliance reports on over and under tiered LUNs.   These reports are great for identifying LUNs which can be moved to lower cost storage as well as LUNs which need to be moved to higher performance storage to ensure service level compliance.

ECN6.png

Once we have configured our groups and customized our service levels we can now look at our new customized chargeback reports in the dashboards section under “chargeback by group”.    Come back for a follow on post and I'll detail how the chargeback reports can help you better understand the true cost of storage in your environment.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 21st, 2014 15:00

Now that we understand how groups and service levels are configured in ViPR SRM, I wanted to explain the way that we approach chargeback. The chargeback report calculates both the used and presented capacities as well as the primary and total capacities. This provides you with multiple ways of understanding and charging for the storage that was allocated. Let’s go through an example so we can see the differences in each category.

In this example our host, MyApp123, has a rather complicated storage allocation as pictured below.

ECN2-1.png

Let’s assign some Presented and Used Capacities and see how that changes the Chargeable numbers.

Our host has two primary volumes, one is thick and one is thin. Each of these have a local clone, and our thick volume has a few snapshots. Both of these primary volumes are replicated to the remote site. We define Used in ViPR SRM as “blocks unavailable for use by another device”. In the tables below, highlighted are the different options available with ViPR SRM to calculate storage chargeback:  Primary Used, Primary Presented, Total Used or Total Presented.  

MyApp123 Array Capacities

Thin Primary

Thick Primary

Presented

100GB

100GB

Used

25GB

100GB

Clone Used

25GB

100GB

Snapshot Used

15GB

10GB

Remote Used

25GB

100GB

PRIMARY USED

Thin Primary

Thick Primary

PRIMARY PRESENTED

Thin Primary

Thick Primary

Presented

n/a

n/a

Presented

100GB

100GB

Used

25GB

100GB

Used

n/a

n/a

Clone Used

n/a

n/a

Clone Used

n/a

n/a

Snapshot Used

n/a

n/a

Snapshot Used

n/a

n/a

Remote Used

n/a

n/a

Remote Used

n/a

n/a

TOTAL

125GB

TOTAL

200GB

TOTAL USED

Thin Primary

Thick Primary

TOTAL PRESENTED

Thin Primary

Thick Primary

Presented

n/a

n/a

Presented

100GB

100GB

Used

25GB

100GB

Used

n/a

n/a

Clone Used

25GB

100GB

Clone Presented

100GB

100GB

Snapshot Used

15GB

10GB

Snapshot Presented

100GB

100GB

Remote Used

25GB

100GB

Remote Presented

100GB

100GB

TOTAL

400GB

TOTAL

800GB

All of the tables shown above are also calculated per service level so a host with multiple service levels and a very complicated set of metrics is reduced to a simple report like the one below.

ECN2-2.png

As you can see ViPR SRM provides a few simple reports that can roll up complicated chargeback metrics.  As the person responsible for chargeback reporting it is up to you to work with the business and decide how you should charge the business units for their storage usage.   Rather than manually creating chargeback reports via spreadsheets, ViPR SRM helps you automate the process so that you can consistently email reports to the business at whatever frequency you need.

No Events found!