Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2017 04:00

Onboarding managed volumes in ViPR

Hi All,

Help me understand why EMC ViPR is unable to onboard managed volumes into its database although it sites in the control path only and not on the data path. As per the docs we need to migrate the data from managed volumes (Provisioned/part of SG or MV) to ViPR managed volumes.

From my stand ViPR has to update its database by importing all the existing configuration (managed/unmanaged), even if a volume is carved and provisioned in a traditional way.

For example Hitachi Command Suite imports configuration from Storage Navigator without any impact to data.

Even though there are several differences between ViPR and HCS, just want to understand why EMC has not considered import option rather than migration.

DK

92 Posts

November 16th, 2017 06:00

It sounds like your confused between the ViPR ingestion process and migration services.  ViPR does support ingesting existing unmanaged volumes (either exported or unexported) so it can manage them moving forward.  This doesn't require any sort of migration or moving the data.  ViPR just learns about the SG's, lun, id's, etc so we can allocate, expand, delete, etc... moving forward.

ViPR also has migration services where if the customer for example has a VPLEX and a VMAX2 and VMAX3, they can migrate data from VMAX2 to VMAX3 via VPLEX migration.  ViPR has lots of different use cases that can apply here so please ask more questions if you have specific ones.

Thanks,

Andrew

November 16th, 2017 08:00

Hi Andrew,

Can you provide more insight on Ingest and Onboard. Also my query is based on below scenario.

1. Customer has existing setup with VNX, VMAX and VPLEX.

2. Introducing ViPR for existing setup.

3. About 50% of volumes are provisioned to hosts using traditional way and 50% volumes are free.

Local and remote replication exists in the current setup.

What process to be followed to bring all the volumes under ViPR control.

Thanks,

DK

92 Posts

November 17th, 2017 08:00

Please send me an email at andrew.sirpis@dell.com and maybe we can setup a call or webex to discuss.

November 17th, 2017 09:00

Hi Dinesh,

This will require a lot of design consideration. I would suggest to involve EMC Professional services for this.

Thanks,

Sathya

November 18th, 2017 03:00

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. Will get back to you for any further queries.

Thanks,

DK

No Events found!