Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2013 07:00

Using Virtual Isilon with ViPR

Hi,

I have installed ViPR in our lab. However I don not have a physical backend array to attach with. Is it fine if I install one node of Virtual Isilon, and use it to simulate backend array?

Thanks

Sachin

January 28th, 2014 09:00

Hi Sachinnagargoje,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you may use a Virtual Isilon to discovering and provisioning in ViPR for test purposes. Please make sure that the Virtual Isilon is running OneFS versions 7.0.2.0 or 7.0.2.1. Both of these versions are the only supported versions for the most recent GA'ed version of ViPR.

Please let us know if you need further info

Thanks

Vinay

December 30th, 2013 01:00

Any replies?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 11:00

VNX appliance simulates File only, it does not simulate Block storage.

40 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 11:00

There is a virtual version of the VNX, maybe that will work.

January 6th, 2014 04:00

soetingr: I have installed VNX File simulator 8.1.0.38015 now. Thanks.

dynamox: I am ok to start with playing with File storage. Until I get the physical storage, I will continue using VNX File simulator 8.1.0.38015. Thanks.

Once I attached the VNX File Simulator with ViPR, I do NOT see any associated ports discovered when I add them into the ViPR environment. However I am able to see two associated storage pools - clar_r5_economy and clar_r5_performance. I am supposed to see default associated ports, right?

And because of lack of ports, I am unable to create IP network (as part of process of adding virtual array), so not able to create virtual array.

FYI: I used the STATIC IP address for configuring virtual external network interface (using "netconfig -d eth0"). However, I could not configure Unisphere, because "ifconfig eth2" command did not had "inet addr" in the output.

Please suggest.

January 13th, 2014 22:00

Hi,

Any replies please.

-Sachin

40 Posts

January 28th, 2014 01:00

Hi Sachin,

I found that the error you encounter with the Isilon Virtual appliance is related to the version of Isilon.

Only 7.0.2.0 and 7.0.2.1 are supported. The last one is downloadable from the support site and works fine with my test setup.

I am currently testing the UBERv3.2 version of the celerra appliance to see if I can get the iscsi part working.

Robert

10 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 10:00

I have used the Isilon VSA 7.0.2.0 with ViPR and it works great. I have used up to a 10 node Isilon VSA cluster with zero issues. Works really good with object services.

25 Posts

March 24th, 2014 13:00

Were you able to do this without activating licenses for the Isilon nodes?  It seems that SmartQuotas are necessary to make it work and this is not licensed in the virtual node.

40 Posts

March 24th, 2014 13:00

I did not check, because I have short lines with Isilon and could get my hands on a license.

Get your self a 90 day key from your EMC sales rep. Should be easy.

10 Posts

March 24th, 2014 16:00

That is correct. You need the license for smart quota for Isilon.

Data services create a directory on the file array for object storage( in Isilon its the /ifs/sos/ directory) and it's size is determined by the quota. Not sure about other file arrays needs for quota licensing. Would need to check the ViPR Matrix.

Reach out to your local Isilon se to get a eval license

25 Posts

March 24th, 2014 18:00

Also, the command isi_get_license will retrieve a license if the VM is within the EMC network for those EMC'ers out there.

July 18th, 2014 04:00

Do you know the adddress for this command?

It requires an hostname

vIsilon-1# isi_get_license

Failed to retrieve URL:

40 Posts

July 18th, 2014 05:00

Ok,

That should work. I'll check if I wrote down the url somewhere.

Robert

Sent from my iPad

40 Posts

July 18th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

Command is not allowed from outside EMC network,

If you need a license ask your EMC Rep for a demo license.

Robert

Sent from my iPad

No Events found!