Using Virtual Isilon with ViPR

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have installed ViPR in our lab. However I don not have a physical backend array to attach with. Is it fine if I install one node of Virtual Isilon, and use it to simulate backend array?

Thanks

Sachin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Vinay_Narayana
1 Nickel

Re: Using Virtual Isilon with ViPR

Jump to solution

Hi Sachinnagargoje,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you may use a Virtual Isilon to discovering and provisioning in ViPR for test purposes. Please make sure that the Virtual Isilon is running OneFS versions 7.0.2.0 or 7.0.2.1. Both of these versions are the only supported versions for the most recent GA'ed version of ViPR.

Please let us know if you need further info

Thanks

Vinay

0 Kudos
16 Replies

Jump to solution

Any replies?

0 Kudos
soetingr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

There is a virtual version of the VNX, maybe that will work.

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

VNX appliance simulates File only, it does not simulate Block storage.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

soetingr: I have installed VNX File simulator 8.1.0.38015 now. Thanks.

dynamox: I am ok to start with playing with File storage. Until I get the physical storage, I will continue using VNX File simulator 8.1.0.38015. Thanks.

Once I attached the VNX File Simulator with ViPR, I do NOT see any associated ports discovered when I add them into the ViPR environment. However I am able to see two associated storage pools - clar_r5_economy and clar_r5_performance. I am supposed to see default associated ports, right?

And because of lack of ports, I am unable to create IP network (as part of process of adding virtual array), so not able to create virtual array.

FYI: I used the STATIC IP address for configuring virtual external network interface (using "netconfig -d eth0"). However, I could not configure Unisphere, because "ifconfig eth2" command did not had "inet addr" in the output.

Please suggest.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Any replies please.

-Sachin

0 Kudos
soetingr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Sachin,

I found that the error you encounter with the Isilon Virtual appliance is related to the version of Isilon.

Only 7.0.2.0 and 7.0.2.1 are supported. The last one is downloadable from the support site and works fine with my test setup.

I am currently testing the UBERv3.2 version of the celerra appliance to see if I can get the iscsi part working.

Robert

Highlighted
Vinay_Narayana
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Sachinnagargoje,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you may use a Virtual Isilon to discovering and provisioning in ViPR for test purposes. Please make sure that the Virtual Isilon is running OneFS versions 7.0.2.0 or 7.0.2.1. Both of these versions are the only supported versions for the most recent GA'ed version of ViPR.

Please let us know if you need further info

Thanks

Vinay

0 Kudos
DaleCooper1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have used the Isilon VSA 7.0.2.0 with ViPR and it works great. I have used up to a 10 node Isilon VSA cluster with zero issues. Works really good with object services.

jeremykeen
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Were you able to do this without activating licenses for the Isilon nodes?  It seems that SmartQuotas are necessary to make it work and this is not licensed in the virtual node.

0 Kudos