Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2013 07:00

ViPR : software appliance for Installation

Hi,

Where can I get the software appliance of ViPR [image format, Live CD] to install it on physical machines or multiple types of virtual machines? What is the procedure to get the license for it?

Thanks.

November 28th, 2013 10:00

Yeah I see. Let me work with my network admin to have these details. Thanks.

472 Posts

November 28th, 2013 10:00

Sachin,

These are the requirements as per page 14 of the ViPR 1.0.0 Installation and Configuration Guide:

vipr.PNG.png

vipr2.PNG.png

Please open a Service Request via EMC Online Support (https://support.emc.com) if these issues persist.

Regards,

Seamus Coffey

November 29th, 2013 06:00

I successfully installed ViPR controller. Thanks Conor, and Seamus.

I looked at many whitepapers by EMC which talks about ViPR's concept and advantages. But I could not find any tutorial/white paper which talks about the internal architecture of the ViPR controller. Basically I want to know how these three Controller VMs communicate with each other. What happens when one of the VM is down - how other two handles the requests then. Where is the REST and UI situated is it situated at each VM and works in distributed way - Or is it lying in one of the VM?

I would appreciate if you could direct me to the tutorial which talk about the internal architecture of ViPR controller.

233 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 02:00

Hi Sachin,

Have a review of the help menu within the ViPR controller UI it provides information on architecture etc...

The ViPR controller components provides the block and file control service, a load balancer, the REST API, the command line interface, and the UI. Delivered as a virtual appliance installed across multiple VMS. The ViPR Controller 3 VM configuration can handle the loss of a single VM without impacting users. The ViPR Controller 5 VM configuration can handle the loss of a two VM without impacting users. Both configurations are able to handle expected ViPR workloads with the same level of performance. The choice of configuration should be determined by the level of tolerance to ViPR VM loss.

The load balancer included with the ViPR Controller provides a means to balance load across all controller VMs with a single Virtual IP address for the Controller Appliance. It enables the ViPR Controller VMs to appear as a single instance to external applications and consumers of ViPR API. The load balancer uses a single IP address which is the Virtual IP address of the ViPR instance. The ViPR Virtual IP address enables a single connection points for clients. The load balancer determines which ViPR VM to complete the connection with.

Documentation and White Papers currently available for VIPR can be found at the following URLs as more become available over time they will be added to these locations.

ViPR REST API Reference document provides information on using the ViPR REST API, which provides HTTP methods for setting up and managing objects and the virtual data center.

EMC ViPR Software-Defined Storage section on YouTube has various videos on ViPR components

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbssOJyyvHuW1TAxMzVd8PF4aQPZk5Mb6

Regards

Conor

December 19th, 2013 05:00

Thanks Conor. This is post was really useful for getting good resources of ViPR.

January 1st, 2014 02:00

Hi,

As per "docu49617_ViPR-1.0-Data-Sheet-and-Compatibility-Matrix.pdf" doc, supported version of Isilon is OneFS 7.0.2.0, 7.0.2.1.

Is Isilon ObeFS v7.1.0.0 compatible as well (as it is a newer version)?

Thanks.

January 1st, 2014 05:00

Now, I have installed Isilon OneFS v7.0.2.1 as well in our lab (from here). I can access it using the IP address configured for external communication (i have same IP address of internal and external communication) - https://10.112.93.59:8080/Status?loadState=1 and page looks good - see attached FireShot - Status - isilon-7-cluster-1.png

When I try to add it as physical assets at ViPR, it shows below mentioned error (see attached screenshot :FireShot - Physical Assets I Storage Systems.png)

isilon-7-cluster-1

Discovery: Error - Discovery failed for Isilon urn:storageos:StorageSystem:f88f0645-c72f-428a-bde3-e62a60c36bd3: because discoverPorts failed. Storage system: urn:storageos:StorageSystem:f88f0645-c72f-428a-bde3-e62a60c36bd3:

Compatibility: Compatible

Any suggestions, what could be wrong here?

FireShot - Status - isilon-7-cluster-1.png

FireShot - Physical Assets I Storage Systems.png

January 1st, 2014 05:00

However the Isilon VM (10.112.93.59) is accessible from ViPR VM. See the attached screenshot- “isilon_accessible_from_vipr.png”.

isilon_accessible_from_vipr.png

233 Posts

January 6th, 2014 03:00

Hi Sachin,

These are the preconfiguration requirements for Isilon to discover in ViPR 1.0

The Isilon storage systems that you add to ViPR 1.0 must meet certain preconfiguration requirements.

Before adding an Isilon system to ViPR, verify that:

• OneFS is at version 7.0.2.0 or 7.0.2.1.
  • SmartConnect is configured as described in Isilon documentation.

Be sure to verify that: the names for SmartConnect zones are set to the appropriate delegated domain. DNS is in use for ViPR and provisioned hosts are delegating requests for SmartConnect zones to SmartConnect IP.

• There is a minimum of 3 nodes in the Isilon cluster configured
  • Isilon clusters and zones will be reachable from ViPR Controller VMs

The EMC ViPR Data Sheet and Compatibility Matrix on support.EMC.com is the authoritative source of supported version numbers.

Is Isilon OneFS v7.1.0.0 compatible as well (as it is a newer version)?

No not with ViPR 1.0 due to the issue documented in solution https://support.emc.com/kb/172573 as soon as more versions of Isilon OneFS become supported the  EMC ViPR Data Sheet and Compatibility Matrix will be updated.

Regards

Conor

January 14th, 2014 06:00

Hi Conor,

Thanks for the earlier reply. Below are the two follow-up questions:

1. During installation, when I select the vmx file inside clone1, that is: "Virtual Isilon Nodes\b.7.0.2.123r.vga\clone1\b.7.0.2.123r.vga.clone1.vmx", it give below error message:

"Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine."

2. For time being, I selected vmx file present at outside, that is : "Virtual Isilon Nodes\b.7.0.2.123r.vga\b.7.0.2.123r.vga.vmx", and proceeded without any error. But as a requirement mentioned in above post, I do not have 3 nodes in the Isilon cluster, but I proceed with single node because of error #1 mentioned above. Thereafter I attached Isilon with EMC's ViPR product. I tried making few actions ("Create Unix Share, Create new file system and NFS export" in User View), and I am getting below error message:

"The evaluation license key for SmartQuotas has expired. Please contact your Isilon representative."

Herewith attached the error log file as well. Do I need to get the license for Isilon? I could not find any forum where they do mention about the licensing part of Isilon. Do I need to raise SRM for this?

Regards,

Sachin Nagargoje

1 Attachment

233 Posts

January 16th, 2014 00:00

Hi Sachin,

A requirement to discover and manage Isilon in VIPR is a min of 3 nodes in the cluster I cannot predict what type of issues you will have by discovering with 1 node as this type of configuration is not supported.

If all the preconfiguration requirements that are stated in the documentation and you are still having issues after discovering Isilon in ViPR please open an SR with support to take a deeper look at the logs etc...

Regards

Conor

January 16th, 2014 01:00

Hi Conor,

Thanks for your reply.

I just resolved that issue with license. I got EVAL license from EMC. However I have just added one node of the Isilon and I am able to provision the storage to consumers. Not sure why did they kept the requirement of minimum 3 nodes of isilon. Nevertheless, I will proceed with adding few more nodes to it.

Regards,

Sachin Nagargoje

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 4th, 2014 04:00

Hi,

I have deployed ViPR 2.0 controller successfully, but i am not able to see "data services configuration tab" under settings, hence not able to download config.iso .

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Akash

92 Posts

August 4th, 2014 07:00

Are you logged in as root?  Also does the license show items with object in them?  You may not have a license for this functionality.

August 5th, 2014 00:00

Hi Akash,

The free license only includes ViPR Controller, not Object, so it is expected that you cannot use it.

Regards

No Events found!