Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2012 08:00

Dell Host alarms does not show up in vSphere Client

Hi

I have installed the OMSA Agent 6.5 (and patched it) on my R710 and also the vSphere plugin and now got everything to work except for the Dell Specific Alarms.

I'm testing the setup by pulling one (of two) power cords to the R710 and expect to get the "Dell - An AC power cord has lost its power" Alarm triggered, however, only the "native" alarm [VMware vCenter - Alarm alarm.PowerHealthAlarm] is being triggered (I receive the mail which I have configured in "Actions" for this particular Alarm and I can see the Alarm in "Triggered Alarms").

As far as I understand the "OMSA Agent/VIB" should send SNMP Traps to the "Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter" appliance, and the appliance should post Events/Alarms to the vCenter?

The configuration of SNMP Traps should be setup automatically (as stated in "Dell Management Plug-in for VMware vCenter Version 1.0.1 User’s Guide") when I register a Host (by creating a "Connection Profile" in Home->Management->Management Center)?

I have not setup SNMP on my host as suggested in "Dell OpenManage With VMware ESXi 5.0  - Systems Management Guide" (page 21) under header "Configuring Your System to Send Traps to a Management Station" since I don't know what community I should use.

When issuing the "vicfg-snmp.pl   -s" command on the Host I receive this:

vicfg-snmp.pl --server 192.168.155.11 --username root
Current SNMP agent settings:
Enabled : 1
UDP port : 161

Communities :

Notification targets :

Options :
EnvEventSource=indications

So, I guess the SNMP has not been setup correctly?

I don't know how to proceed with this troubleshooting, anyone has any suggestions?

/Thomas

February 3rd, 2012 06:00

Thomas,

You have to enable alarms for Dell hosts in the Managemtnet Center. See page 45 in the user guide. support.dell.com/.../ug.pdf.  

In addition our video gives you good idea how it is done as well. en.community.dell.com/.../3385.aspx  

5 Posts

January 27th, 2012 07:00

Hi

I've managed to setup the SNMP now (destination set to vSphere Plugin appliance from within the OpenManage Server Administrator) and now I can see that almost immediately an Event is seen in the vSphere Client, so the chain seems to work ok.

But, still no Dell-specific alarms are being triggered.

As a test I now change the "System Board Ambient Temp" using OpenManage Server Administrator on the Host, fiddling with the "Minimum Warning Threshold" value to generate the Events.

Is there somekind of a connection between a Event (as seen in "Tasks & Events") and the Dell-specific Alarms?

In this case I would expect that the Dell-specific larm "Dell - Temperature Sensor Detected a warning value" instead of the more
generic "Host hardware temperature status":

This is how the Event looks like (in "Tasks & Events")

Dell - Under-Temperature Warning (Lower non-critical, going low).
warning
2012-01-27 15:58:11
vsphereplugin

Anyone have a clue how I can proceed troubleshooting this?

/Thomas

180 Posts

January 30th, 2012 17:00

Thomas,

Let me check with PG about the Dell-specific alarms.

KongY

5 Posts

February 10th, 2012 02:00

Hi Matthew

I've managed to get the Dell specific alarms work perfectly fine now by issuing the same (SNMP related) commands as in the video.

The document (in your link above) states that "The deployment process installs the OpenManage Server Administrator

package on the target system, and will automatically configure the SNMP

trap destination to point to the Dell Plug-in", but I guess somehow the SNMP wasn't setup automatically.

Anyway, thanks for your help, problem solved!

/Thomas

No Events found!