Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2014 08:00

How to Connect a SQL VM to a data Volume in EqualLogic

I have a new Dell EqualLogic 4100 and still learning how to use it.

I have create a SQL Virtual machine (Server 2012) and have a separate volume that I intend to store my databases.

The problem I am facing is that I cannot get the SQL VM to see the Data Volume as a drive. I can map the volume using a drive letter but this is not sufficient for SQL as it does not recognize the mapping

I have added the roles for iSCSI initiator and created a virtual NIC on the VM. On the hyperV Host I added a virtual Switch configured for the internal network that the Equallogic is on. After doing this the SQL VM cannot ping the Equallogic so attempts to connect with the iSCSI initiator fail.

Am I going about this wrong?

What do I need to do to get my SQL VM to see the data volume as a drive?

11 Posts

November 14th, 2014 04:00

I might be misunderstanding, but do you want to present a volume on the SAN to your virtual server?

If this is the case you will need to present the volume to your virtualizations hosts, and then present the disk as a pass-through disk to your virtual server. You will then see it in your virtual server as an ordinary drive.

Hope this helps

January 4th, 2015 00:00

What you want to do is completely possible.

However, before making this setup please remember to evaluate why you want to use in-guest iSCSI?

Performance could easily be the same.

Which backup software are you using?

Backups will most likely be more difficult depending on how they are done.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for your reply,

I am new to the Equallogic iSCSI Hard Drive system and trying to figure out the best way to manage my VM's

With regards to performance I had read that the databases should be in a separate volume for the best performance. After several attempts to do this I finally resolved myself that it was just not worth my time and configured an additional drive within my SQL VM. Our databases are not that demanding and performance is not being hindered by this configuration.

I am using Appassure which is a block level backup and is simply an amazing backup solution, although very expensive to implement.

January 14th, 2015 01:00

With AppAssure backup it will not make any difference.

With EqualLogic the entire box is made up of one single RAID. So it will not make any big performance difference to make it on a seperate volume since this LUN performance will come from the same disks as all the other volumes.

Simply making extra drives in your VM from the Hypervisor was a great choice for your configuration.

No Events found!