Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2013 13:00

I don't want to have RAID at all in Poweredge 2950

Hi,

I am in possession of a Dell Poweredge 2950 with 2 x 2TB Segate disks.

The thing is for some reasons, I do not want to have any sort of RAID configuration on this server and the reason is I want to install ESXi on one disk and add it to vCenter then I want to use 2 other disks from other servers (existing datastores in vCenter - vmfs file system) so that virtual machines are detected automatically and I can then register them.

I tried installing ESXi 5.1 on it without having the RAID configuration but it only detects my USB stick. I really don't want to have RAID at all! what's the workaround?

My other question is that if I install ESXi on a configured RAID-1 and then I insert another disk with existing data, is there any chance vmwware ESXi detects the new disk or I have to format it and add it to the existing array?

Thank you for helps~~ 

• 

3.1K Posts

September 18th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

Due to the architecture of PowerEdge 2950, we will not be able to disable the RAID configuration. But there is configuration step that you can use, RAID0 using only 1 HDD in 1 array (Assuming you are using a PERC5i in a PE2950). Get what i meant?

Once installed ESXi on this 2950, mentioned that you are going to import the 2 other disk from other servers, are the servers also 2950? Are they in RAID too? Reason that I asked, is that if the 2 disks are in RAID and also from a 2950, you will need to import foreign configuration in the RAID BIOS.

The reason ESXi 5.1 installation doesnot see the disks, RAID driver is not loaded in ESXi installation CD. Here's the OEM version from Dell: http://dell.to/1a32bXk

Answer to the last question, the added other disks will need to be formatted

September 18th, 2013 05:00

Howdy,

Thank you for the response to my question.

I beg your pardon for not providing more details, but well the other server is an Intel Server which has 2 x 2TB disks and I believe one of them is gone (they are not in RAID )

Is there any workaround that I set up RAID-0 on one disk and then once ESXi installation is completed I insert the other disks in a hot-swap fashion ? 

Thank you

• 

3.1K Posts

September 18th, 2013 19:00

Hey there,

Seems there is no way to retain the data on the 2 seperate disk from the Intel Server. Each RAID card/Controller card has it's own unique container information.

Hot-swap?

1) Well, are you trying to build 1 OS disk, then swap it with another disk so it can replicate? - Answer is no.

2) Or, OS is already installed, then insert the 2nd disk into 2nd slot, for the server to detect? - Answer is yes you can, but the data on the 2nd cannot be retain.

No Events found!