Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2008 09:00

Problems with MD3000i email alerts

Hi all

I've been trying to set this up on our MD3000i, but can't get it to work. It keeps coming up with the following errors. Any ideas?

OPERATING ENVIRONMENT DATA

Client system name: thenderson-xp
Client OS: Windows XP

Application version: 02.71.G6.07
Storage array management version: 02.71.G6.07
Storage array name: Unavailable
Firmware version: Unavailable
Management class: Unavailable

ERROR DATA

Command sent to RAID controller module in slot: Unavailable
Host name: Unavailable
IP address: Unavailable

Return code: Validation unsuccessful.

Cause unknown.

Operation when error occurred: Alert validation
Timestamp: 30-Sep-2008 16:08:17

STACK DATA

Validation unsuccessful.

Cause unknown.

at devmgr.dmv.SMTPTestNotifyThread.performOp(Unknown Source)
at devmgr.v0970api01.shared.BackgroundTask.run(Unknown Source)

THREAD DATA

Thread[Reference Handler,10,system]
Thread[Finalizer,8,system]
Thread[Signal Dispatcher,9,system]
Thread[Java2D Disposer,10,system]
Thread[TimerQueue,5,system]
Thread[AWT-Windows,6,main]
Thread[AWT-Shutdown,5,main]
Thread[AWT-EventQueue-0,6,main]
Thread[Image Fetcher 0,8,main]
Thread[GarbageCollectorThread,6,main]
Thread[DestroyJavaVM,5,main]
Thread[ChangeDetector,6,main]
Thread[LogMsgThread,6,main]
Thread[Np_Link_Monitor0,6,main]
Thread[RecoveryProfile-11,6,main]
Thread[AEN-12,6,main]
Thread[Timer-0,6,main]

342 Posts

October 1st, 2008 13:00

Where are you attempting the configuration ? From the MDSM GUI client, or from the CLI ? I'm concerned that the firmware verison says "unavailable" in the message above.

Does everything else work on the controller ? LUNs are attached and available ? All other management functions to the controller work ?

112 Posts

October 1st, 2008 13:00

Toby,

I haven't seen this problem before. I would recommend that you check your SMTP server settings and make sure you have the email server info setup correctly.

You may need to open a support ticket so they can diagnose the error message that you are getting.

Thanks - Todd

October 1st, 2008 15:00

By the way, just some further feedback on the MD3000i for anyone who happens to read this...

I tendered out our VMware implementation and got a company in who have done hundreds of implementations of all different sizes, costs, complexities, etc. The guy that came in to do the work had not come across the MD3000i before and he was very impressed with the quality of it. I could tell he wasn't convinced when he first started working on it but, by the time we got round to testing VMotion and HA, he was an absolute convert. Admittedly some of our VM's aren't that big, but he was astonished at how quickly they VMotion'ed. Around 40 seconds for some of them.

Toby

[PS. We have 2 x PE2950 III's, 1 x MD3000i, and they're connected via redundant Cisco Catalyst 3750's]

October 1st, 2008 15:00

Everything else about the MD300i is working perfectly (infact, apart from this, its a great bit of kit!). We are using it with 2 x 2950's as an ESX3.5 environment and are delighted with the set up and performance. All the email alert settings are definitely OK.

I logged a call with Dell and have been told that this is a known issue and that email alerting doesn't currently work. Its due to be fixed in a firmware revision to be released in November. I'm a bit disappointed as its quite a key feature and will mean I have to check manually, but at least its known about and they are doing something about it. Apparantly the firmware fix also addresses an issue with LUN sizes not currently being able to be > 2Tb?

Thanks for the feedback anyway guys.

Toby

December 8th, 2008 08:00

Does anyone have an update on when the firmware update for the MD3000i is due to be released? It was promised for November back in October, but no sign of it as yet. It should fix the above problem with email alerts, and also the 2Tb LUN size limitation.

Thanks
Toby

342 Posts

December 8th, 2008 13:00

Toby, first, thanks for the feedback on how impressed the guy was with the MD3000i, I too think it is really simple and powerful for the price, but of course I work here and nobody cares what I have to say :-)

Yes, the Nov release was pushed back a little bit, and that's why we hate to give specific timelines about releases. You never know what can happen that will force a delay ... and once you set expectations, it's hard to not get a little peeved.

So don't hold my feet to the fire on this one, but the peope that are working on it told me January. I didn't clarify what year, so that leaves me an opening with you :-)
No Events found!