Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2008 07:00

SUU 5.4 and VMWare 3.5 on a Dell PE2950

I am looking for instructions (as detailed as possible) for using the SUU with our Dell 2950s which have VMWare 3.5 installed. Contacted Dell Support, but was told they couldn't find a link as well. Are there upgrade concerns on the VMWare side as well to consider before running the SUU? In a Windows environment I love it, but in the VMWare OS I am lost.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2008 07:00

Dell has an OMSA Live bootable CD. This will provide a GUI interface that the SUU should be able to operate on this VMware OS. SUU will not boot onVMWare is seems. As a side note, it is best to run updates like this outside of the operating system.

342 Posts

April 8th, 2008 13:00

Yes, a little confusing. SUU is not bootable media, it uses java and runs in a browser-like environment. No GUI in the VMware service console, so no SUU experience like you are used to in Windows.

Looks like you found SBUU (Systems Build and Update Utility) which is bootable and can install the updates.

SUU does have a CLI that works for the comparison reports that you could use in the service console .. (./suu -c) ... but the update portion will fail (./suu -u).

But once you generate the comparison report, you could use that to run updates (DUPs - Dell Update Packages) manually. Drill into the ./repository directory on the SUU DVD and it contains all the DUPs, then just run the .BIN file from the console. Example ./respository/ESM_FRMW_LX_R180629.BIN

Hope that helps.
No Events found!