Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

November 13th, 2012 04:00

VMQ's on Intel and Broadcom NICS

Hi All,

Doing some testing, does anyone have any best practise implementing Dell Intel and Broadcom NICS with VMQ's with Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V (and 2012)

The reason I ask is that on Dell Broadcom NICS when you create a
Team you can enabled the “Hyper-V mode” which I understand uses VMQ’s for
Hyper-V throughput and performance

By default the latest Dell provided Intel Drivers do not enable VMQ. 
I would be interested in anyone’s “Real World” feedback.

Cheers,

Tim

37 Posts

November 21st, 2012 12:00

Hi Tim,

We have met at Dell, but a very long time ago. (Mike Jennings days)

With the BCM NICs make sure you have the v7 firmware and the by latest drivers 17.4

To get VMQ working you also needs to use these settings.

technet.microsoft.com/.../gg162696%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

One problem though, enabling interrupt Coalesing can make hyper-v VMs slow to boot.

Also google take a look at this en.community.dell.com/.../broadcom_5F00_nic_5F00_config_5F00_guidelines.pdf

Regards

Austin

21 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 01:00

Hi Austin,

We did indeed, that was a few years back ;-) How are you ? All good ?

Thanks for the tips.

We enabled VMQ on the Intel NICS in the end, plus Dynamic LinK Aggregation, and LAG groups on the switches etc. It seemed, in the limited testing we did, to make a little difference, over VMLB, but not much. I would like to have the kit available to do some proper testing..

BTW - we now have a GICS Virtualisation Exchange DL, I can add you if you would like..

Cheers,

Tim

37 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 03:00

Hi Tim,

Yes please, I don't want to post my email adress on this forum though, how can I get this to you?

Regards

Austin

1 Message

October 8th, 2014 10:00

Hi,

I'm having problems with file copy performance between two VMs hosted on Hyper V 2012 R2.

I have Broadcom NetXtreme 5720 Quad Port adapters. I've since disabled Virtual Machine Queues on each NIC port and disabled the hardware acceleration option "enable virtual machine queue" on each VM but am still stuffing very slow transfer speeds. 

I wonder if its the firmware update that I am missing... but I'm can't find any link to an update, please could someone suggest a fix?

References:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN132131

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2902166

4 x r720xd, 2 CPU 3.3GHz, 22 x 450GB SAS 15K (RAID 50), Hyper V Server 2012 R2

Thanks for your help,

Alex

No Events found!