Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2011 11:00

VMWare Workstation on a Dell Laptop PC

I am looking to use VMWare to set up virtual machines on a laptop device and I did not see any articles or white papers on this topic. Specifically, I'd like to know which of the Dell Laptop PC models is best suited to this function and would deliver the highest performance for this application. I'd also like to know if I install VMWare workstation on that particular model device, what kind of performance can I expect. For example, how many Windows-based VMs can I set up without starting to experience performance issues. Has any benchmark testing been done with VMWare workstation on Dell laptops?

180 Posts

June 6th, 2011 18:00

Hi CLR3934,

The # of Windows-based VMs you can set up without experience perf issues depends on your VM configuration and the applications that you'll be running. There is memory & CPU overhead associated with VMware. How many VMs are you looking at running? How many vCPUs & how much memory are you going to associate with each VM? Plus, what will the IO profile be ... lots of IOps? All of these factor will determine your mileage with the # of VMs.

In my experience, for max performance, you'll want to not over-commit any of your compute & memory resources (exact commitment of resources inclusive of hypervisor & VMs overhead tend to produce the best perf #s). In addition, you'll want optimize your memory subsystem in terms of capacity & bandwidth and provide near 1:1 # of cores to # of VM vCPUs. Next, your disk & network IO profiles will factor into your overall perf experience.

At this time, Dell has only conducted VMware VMmark performance testing on PowerEdge servers. I'm not aware of any performance benchmark of VMware on Dell laptops.

P.S. I've seen your note & will send you an email to further discuss.

Regards,

KongY@Dell

55 Posts

June 7th, 2011 07:00

I haven't done any benchmark testing, but I don't recommend running too many VM's on laptop hardware (Unless it is a Precision M with a RAID setup). That is unless the VM's are going to be WinXP, Linux or an older version of Windows Server. The issue I ran into wasn't with CPU and memory but with disk I/O. I single Win 7 x64 VM killed the disk I/O on the system. If you have to do something like that, I recommend getting an eSATA drive and having the VM's run off of that. That should save your system and allow you to get things working on a laptop. For reference, I was using an E6410 with a single HDD to run VMWare Workstation and building a Win7 x64 OS....it was painful. Moving to an external drive made things function much better (eSATA NOT USB).
No Events found!